Learning Java

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr. VB, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Mr. VB

Mr. VB Guest

What's going on guys? I have a quesiton for those of you who know Java or are in the process of learning it. Right now I'm taking a Java course and my proffessor sucks. I was thinking about droping the class and learning it on my own. When you guys learned Java, did you learn it on your own or did you learn it in shcool. How easy or hard was it for you to learn on your own?

2. eof

eof New Member

Depends on your programming background I guess....if you know any C at all you will find the syntax easy to pick up and it will be easy to learn....if this is your first language I would prob try to find a good prof...=/

With this said I taught myself C in grade 12 and that gave me a huge advantage when I started school....I have since picked up java, smalltalk, c++, lisp, prolog, PHP and others with little to no effort. It is really the first language that you might find tough... :dunno:

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Just stick with the class and make the best of it. Doing those long assignments is how you learn the language and the basis of programming, not from the professor himself. If you have any questions you know you can turn here for help.

4. kcarlson78

kcarlson78 Meanwhile, Jesus continued to shake his head in ex

I'll put in my vote for sticking out the class.. as a general rule I've hated every professor I've ever had in a computer class.. they just frustrate the hell out of me. Hell last semester I ended up tutoring most of my class (not tooting my horn.. it's true)

It's the programming projects that you'll learn the most from.. not his boring lecture (as already stated above).. and I know I'm generally more motiviated to work on a project if I am going to be graded.. or otherwise judged on my performance. When self studying something I'm a terrible procrastinator.. (as can be illustrated by the PHP books I picked up and haven't bothered to open yet :o )

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i learned C/C++ first

then i started learning java from a book
    (good java book is Thinking in Java 2nd edition)

in college classes, i basically came to class to get/turn in assignments and to take tests and learned everything else from the book, but i suggest attending boring lectures anyways since sometimes you can miss somethign important

6. Mr. VB

Mr. VB Guest

Thanks everyone for your comments

Hey kcarlson78, Its funny that you mentioned tutoring the whole class, because last night that is exactly what one of guys in my class did. People were having problems with some code and he was going around helping everyone. I want to stick with it but the E-commerence class that I might swap with sounds interesting. Then agian, don't want to be a punk for skipping out on something that might be a little hard :(

7. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

blugh I'm taking Java this semester

we'll see how that turns out

8. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I would suggest staying in the class. Even if the professor is not the best person in the world, you can still take the assignments turn in the required part, and then improve them and build off of them. That's how you are going to learn. If you have programmed in the past, take some of the programs/processes that you have created and migrate them over.

9. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Enjoy. :bigthumb:

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Programming classes sometimes suck, but I'd stay just stick with it... I have to take a VB class this semester, but I'm just sticking it out so I can take a decent C++ course next semester.

11. Toaster

Toaster Guest

12. kcarlson78

kcarlson78 Meanwhile, Jesus continued to shake his head in ex

I also lend my help to people online where I can.. I helped a couple guys through c++ last semester, and I'll be starting Java on monday.. so if you decide to stick with it, and get stuck on something, I'm always more than willing to help..

Whatever you decide to do.. good luck!