SRS Learning in life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Dec 5, 2006.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Every generation of people just goes through life. Everyone learns lessons as they go. Old people know the most, but they die and are replaced by new old people. everyone has to learn everything on their own. But the catch is that the newer generation is just learning crap that the older generation learned decades ago. following me? so why wont this planet wise up and just teach the lessons to the younger generation to give them a head start on lifes lessons? wouldn't humanity excell faster and further this way?

2. NotSoSmart

NotSoSmart New Member

Don't you think they haven't tried? Parents are there to help guide you in the way that they think is the least resistance for you. Yet how many times do kids "rebel" against their elders thinking they are right?

In the end, it's up to the individual to experience the tribulations of life, before they can grow as a person. Otherwise, we'd all be drones of the system.

3. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

you're partially right. I don't believe that kids are naturally gonna be stubborn against their parents. This behavior is most noted in America. When I went to Europe, the children still respected their elders, even adults respected their elders. Kids are acting like this for a reason, I just don't know why.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

LMAO. You don't actually *have* children of your own, do you? In fact, I bet I can guess your age within a 4-year span.

5. NotSoSmart

NotSoSmart New Member

And yet the same problems that existed in Europe for thousands of years still exists. So what does that tell you?

6. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

Just because they are respectful of their elders, as many are also in fact respectful to their parents here in the US, doesn't mean they don't go out and experiment behind their parents' backs and make the same mistakes.

7. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

no I don't have kids of my own. I have 3 siblings, have gone through High School, and now in my managerial position at work I deal with high school students all day. I definately notice this pattern of disrespect/backtalk. All I'm sayin is that it wasn't as bad in Europe.

back on topic. When I was younger, I noticed the things my older brother and his friends went through. I started going through the same things and I pretty much knew what to expect. Even today, I am going to college and remember what he did and what it was like for him, and it's exactly the same for me. This just gets me thinking about what is going through the minds of the seniors in this world who have gone to school, made a living, retired, and now are just sittin back. What do they think? After living for 60+ years, what kind of wisdom do they hold. They have viewed life from many perspectives and are closing in on thier deaths, they must know some key questions. I noticed that many older people are very reserved with what they say, and I don't know why. Anyone?

8. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

All you have to do is ask. :) I think seniors these days try in the beginning to teach younger generations about the truth, but quite frankly, once a couple bad seeds don't really listen or mock them, they stop. :hs: How many times do you hear, "but things are different now" from a teenager to early adult age saying this? I know if i was trying to teach someone about some truths i've learned in life, and all they could say is "to bad things have changed, etc.."

I volunteer at a hospital, and with some patients there is alot of down time. If the patient seems like they love to talk, i ask questions, and i let them talk. It's a world of difference when you ask just a simple question, what's your view on this, and they see you listening, they will continue. :)

I'm just a 19 year old kid (eh, kid imo atleast.. :rofl: ) but i love listening to anyone older than me! why? simply because they have experienced life more, they have lived longer than I have, and i like to listen to what their view on life is. I'll be quite honest, i don't always follow it, but when I hear anyone's view on life, i am consistently comparing it to my own and trying to see if i still hold the same beliefs as i did 2 weeks ago maybe?

but yeah, i think few people take advice/lear from the elderly. Maybe they truly do feel life is different? maybe they want to wait and experience it on their own? idk, who knows, but i love hearing the patients, my professors, parents, etc, talk about their lives when they were little.. not only does it give me insight into why they think or are the way they are, it gives me a better understanding of life in general. :)

9. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

and i'm also a younger sibling, and having a older brother definitely helps. I've seen him try new experiences and get completely mest up because of them, and have seen him try new experiences and be completely successful. Not to say i don't try them for myself, but atleast i know what to expect and am not completely in the blue. I see it as when you are having a essay exam, but your professor gives you hints on what the topics might be.. so your still nervous because it could be alot of topics, but your a whole lot less nervous than having no "essay topic hints" =)

10. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Not all parents try and help, but many do. Offspring rebel and do their own thing, and by the time they reach their parent's age, they realize their errors and learn what they could have learned at 16-20 (or whatever). For most younger generations, it's like playing catch-up. For some though, when they are younger they learn from their parents and don't buck it all off and by the time they hit 20, 25, 30 years of age, they are just as wise as their parents of 50 years old. Personal experiences also make a difference.

But like I said, most people have to play catch-up and fix old errors, learn from old mistakes, and finally "wake-up." Some people just don't get it, and when they finally do, it's too late.