Learning a new language

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Oct 19, 2004.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I know the best way to learn a new programming language is to take a class at school. It gives you structure, someone to help you along the way, and deadlines to force you to stay on track. I've been wanting to learn C++ for a very long time and I've given it a couple of tries. I've tried reading two different books but I always seem to end up not spending the proper amount of time working at it. Eventually it phases out and I end up coming back to it weeks/months later. I've looked at taking a computer science class where they teach intro to C++ but I just don't have the time for it, plus it wouldn't count towards even an elective in my degree program. Any advice? :hs:

2. CompiledMonkey

I know Java and C#. I want to learn C++. I'm just having a hard time finding a way that I can stick to and will work for me. :hs:

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Find a project to do and do it in C++. That's how I've always learned languages, by doing them. Doesn't give you the comprehensive understanding that a class would, but you can find your way around anyway.

4. CompiledMonkey

I think that's what I'll end up doing but I really feel like I'll be missing out. It would be so nice to learn the proper way from someone who really knows what they're doing. :hs:

5. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

i'm the same way trying to learn PHP, I have a couple projects ready to be coded but everytime I try to get into it I don't really know where to start, get frustrated and quit... :hs: And I have no programming experience so it's frustrating.

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I've always taught myself languages and I've done really well with them -- the way I see it is if you take a class to learn something, yes, you'll learn the fundamentals more clearly, maybe have a bit more structure but I don't think you'll be self-sufficient which is extremely important in programming.

An example, person A learned programming in class and person B taught himself. Both are coding the same project and get stuck at something they never worked with before. Person A cries because he can't get ahold of his teacher, person B does research and figures it out for himself.

I would rather, than have a class, just code a project and have a "mentor" rather than a teacher, someone that I can go to when I get stumped and can't find my way out.

Eh.

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

MFC? :ugh:

8. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

if you know C# what do you need C++ for? Unless you just want to learn it for self gradification.

You should work on C# with .Net and make lotsa $$$ from people who don't know how to do it :)

9. CompiledMonkey

I'd like to stay away from platform specific stuff. :hsugh:

10. CompiledMonkey

I'd like to learn it for hobby. I'll probably never use it in my work.

That's what I do right now. :big grin:

11. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

if you still want to be taught c++ my c/c++ professor is very good
    you can take it online but its gonna cost some money and probably not worth it for hobby

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It's good to know a non-MS language, in case the glorious day of Microsoft's demise comes within our lifetimes.

13. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

agreed... :cool:

maybe Bill Gates is the devil, and he's working on breaking earth...he's close