GUN learned me an important lesson w/ Victorinox Swiss Army Knives ***advice enclosed***

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigman7903, Aug 14, 2005.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

For the kinves that have one of the greatest followings and is consitered to be one of the most rugged daily carry knives around, it doesnt take acetone every well.

lemme explain here what i did, i put like 2oz of nail polish remover in a plastic bag and let my super-tinker soak in it, because i knew through chemistry that Acetone is a very powerful cleaner and i hoped that it would de-gunk my knife after a summer of landscaping. :x:

it definatly cleaned it, but it also melted the handle into a wax like goo, in all of 30 seconds of being submerged. :mamoru:

i ended up using water to stop the reaction and using sandpaper to make the handle usable again. now it works fine but is all scratched up and no longer has the little metal SAK symbol on the side. it works perfect. :hs:

words to the wise, dont use acetone to clean knives w/ plastic handles, it just doesnt work. :nono: try the same thing w/ rubbing (isopropl) alcohol it works great. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Sorry, I have a a leatherman. No crappy plastic on mine. :mamoru:

3. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

i have the swiss army tool thing also, but thats alot easer to clean the acetone worked great on that but i dont like carrying something that big daily, i do need to go out and get one of those little leatherman things though

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

no angrymob custom no care :o