GUN Learn me WASR's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anders 7, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

:coolugh: I'm thinking of buying myself one for Christmas before Obama bans them.

A few questions:

1. Are they more reliable than a new AR-15 from a mid range manufacturer like Bushmaster or DPMS?
    2. Where is the cheapest I can acquire one? Is it better to buy it in parts or buy the whole rifle?
    3. How expensive is ammo compared to .223? Where is the cheapest place to buy from?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

to answer #3, most 7.62x39 is about $0.20/round and .223/5.56 that i would shoot (read: not wolf) is about $0.33-$0.38/round

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

1. WASRs should run and run and run, well maintained or not. Well maintained ARs should run and run and run too.
    2. AIM surplus and and classicarms.us have them for ~$400. If you just want one AK, save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a complete one. WASRs have a crappy finish and are sorta ugly but if you just want a shooter, they are great.
    3. See post #2

4. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

I love my WASR. If I don't feel like cleaning it I don't. I have it locked and loaded in the bedroom closet. I know if I need it to shoot it always will. My ammo I get from ammoman.com - Runs about $200 for 1000 rounds. Free shipping

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I <3 my WASR-2.

6. Nonphixion

Nonphixion New Member

Advantages of a Yugo M72 over a WASR/cheap Romanian AK?

Which one has the lower recoil, the Yugo with the longer heavy-barrel or the Romak? Which one is generally more reliable in terms of jamming, I'm guessing the cheaper WASR is the better of the two guns.

Not talking about building one (of either gun) myself, but to purchase the premade weapon. Also, I don't know if this will get me banned for such a stupid question but which one bump (hip) fires better? Also, which has the greater ratio of twist for better long range firing?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  7. Nonphixion

Nonphixion New Member

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

They are up there as being one of the better built AKs. Definitely the most fun AK I own. I'll admit that they are ugly as all hell, but mine folds up to just over 26'', has substantially less recoil with the muzzle brake (not to mention being obnoxiously loud), and is a ton of fun. For a little more than a WASR, I'd go for the AMD-65...

[​IMG]

9. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

For what they're going for any more, you're better off buying a converted Saiga.

I own a WASR-2 (5.45) and a Saiga in 7.62. The Saiga >> The WASR. If we get 5.45 Saigas, I will buy one the minute they're available.