Learn me trials bikes

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by GammaRadiation, Mar 23, 2010.

1. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

250's from the 70's and 80's to make a motard-esque bike for under 2k.

How are their reliability, ease of maintenance (including availability of parts), and road manners.

[​IMG]

For reference.

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

if you're gonna turn it into a tard, why start with a trials bike?

they tend to have tons of torque but not all that much power

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

they are designed to be stood up on, not sat on. so ergonomics blows if you are wanting a bike to sit on to ride.

4. GammaRadiation

Cheap (<1k for something mechanically sound) and reliable from what I've heard.

I'm a pretty small guy, 5'7''. It will be for very short commutes so I think I'd be alright but I'll definitely need to sit on one first. I'm thinking about moving 3+ miles from campus and dont want to have to bike/skateboard that distance every day and also dont want to have to guzzle gas in my truck. Plus its always easy to find empty motorcycle parking on campus. Pretty much if I'm getting something it needs to be scooter priced but not a scooter. I'll build myself a moped and not have to even register it before I ride a faggio. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  5. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

How about a goped lol. I actually had one for a while as an ex of mine had gone to RI to take a job and couldn't park at the place she worked as it was on the water and parking was very hard to come by. Got her that and I ended up using it for a while just to ride around town with. They are kind of fun. Mine wasn't even that powerful. Got it for like $100 and only had to put on a new belt.

6. GammaRadiation

I've already got a goped but legally their pretty much useless. With a moped I could legally operate it on any highway as long as I can travel at a safe speed relative to traffic; I can pedal it to the bike rack/class to lock up. Gas go-peds on campus anywhere but the roads are a big no-no and could give you a 24hr trespassing warning (meaning dont return for 24hrs). University Police are dickheads except a few and it is a generally obnoxious thing to do anyway.

Of course I'd rather have a real-ish motorcycle with my skateboard strapped to my back.:coolugh:

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

you'd be far better off just finding an older enduro.

I am seeing older 250 to 600cc bikes constantly in craigslist and CHEAP too.

just looked real quick and this is in the top 10 here

1995 Yamaha XT600 Dual Sport - $300 (Sparks, NV)

8. GammaRadiation

Remember that I'm 5'7''. I can only tippy touch on most entduro bikes and I cant hold up a dirt bike bigger than a 250 reliably enough for me to take it in traffic. My height is lacking pretty much in legs alone, short nubby fuckers.
    :sad2:

I wear 30x31 jeans and that leaves some slack around the shoes, as a reference to my hobbit leg size.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010