Learn me some EFI.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PanzerAce, Feb 9, 2009.

1. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

So....yah, I'm thinking that the time has come for me to ditch my triple Mikuni carbs in favor of an EFI setup. Primary reason is to make it easier to DD the Z, but I'd also like to learn the dos/don'ts before I go and build a high horse motor.

So, anybody here have any experience with Extrudabody ITBs or MegaSquirt? And if so, is there anything special I need to know about either of them.

Like, for instance, I keep reading shit about MAF or MAP or stuff like that to measure how much air is flowing into the engine, but as far as I can tell there isn't any way to do with with ITBs, so wtf?

Oh, and other than a in-tank fuel pump, new fuel line, and the actual EFI/ITB setup, is there anything else I need to add/change to go from the carbs to EFI?

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

What, so do all you fucks just buy off the shelf ECU tunes? :ugh:

3. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

I don't know a lot about Megasquirt [never used it myself], but I do know it's a major PITA to use a speed density system [MAP] with ITBs. It can be done however.

Some type of MAF is the way to go in my [limited] opinion.
    However, this means you will need some type of a runner system to a single runner. I believe that's how it's done on stock systems.

It's hard to say what else you might need, what exactly are you already planning on getting?

FYI, it might be easier to build a single TB setup from an installation/tuning perspective.
    However, I don't know much about your particular engine or how involved that would be, or if it's even available as a kit.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

No, the rest of us drive cars that came from the factory with EFI. :hs:

Megasquirt is probably the most popular option for swapped MR2 guys, everyone on the MR2OC talks about it. Sadly I don't have a swapped car, and I've never helped anyone set theirs up with Megasquirt so I don't know the do's and dont's. But from what I have read when you get it up and running it's reliable, cheap to maintain, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.

USDM AW11 came MAF, JDM ones came MAP, and people use carb's and ITB's on them all the time. So it's possible, I just don't know how HAHA! :rofl::wtc:

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I'm going to be going with an extrudabody system, filters right on top of the airhorns (6x45mm ftw).

And honestly, fuck easy. If I wanted easy, I'd just pop a L28et in there, or a SBC :o

6. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

The megasquirt sucks ass. Do yourself a favor and step up to something like an Autronic.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Your EFI setup will come with a tune, or else be tuneable with a laptop.

Also, most people are asleep/at work between the hours of 3am and 5pm.

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:hsugh:

reading > you.

9. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I would use MAP as the load for your car. Most Stand alone systems are MAP based. To tune it's load vs RPM. with your set up it should be simple because you don't have to worry about ING timing because yours is static (IE Distrbuter). So I guess your car is TBFSI so that would be like on large injector instead of one on every cyl. So tune via Air fuel with a wide band VS RPM and tps and keep the injector duty under 80% and your done. But honestly I would just kept carbed and buy a newer car with EFI from the factory and have a ball with that.

Signed
    I have tuned alot of fucken cars

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

TBFSI? TPS?

Buying a new car isn't an option right now for a variety of reasons, and TBH I'm tired of the issues I'm having with carbs. They aren't great on an engine that has to be daily driven in weather that ranges b/w 20 degrees F and 120 F :/

Injector Duty is just how much of the total possible flow is being used, correct?

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Apparently so. I just looked over the thread again and I still don't see the magic sentence that you think I skipped the first time around.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I'm talking about a system that you tune yourself, I know that it includes a computer.

13. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

If you're looking for real information and not canned solutions, www.efi101.com is a good bet. Hit up their forums.

14. Cachee0

True but expect issues with Stand alone EFIs with those weather changes as well.

Well if you think about a injector it's a cyl. and pistion. The more it opens the More fuel it has. If at 100% full open you have no control of the fuel it's just going to Dump as much as it can flow. Anything over 80% duty cycle is not good for complete EFI control.

Now on ever stand alone you have the Load VS RPM. TPS or MAP or MAF.

I would assume MAP or TPS would be best for your application. Now what system are you thinking of using?? It will help me understand what you need todo and tune for.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Planning on using MegaSquirt with an extrudabody ITB setup, unless there's some easier to use system for controlling stuff.

16. Cachee0

Well I'm at work and don't think I should google MegaSquirt:mamoru: to research it.

I'll do that at home:naughty: