Learn me on the 2000-2001.5 Audi S4

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by WhiteSSP, Apr 3, 2006.

1. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Well I've always loved these cars, and I'm about to be going back to school so I'd like to get something that is reliable and I wont wanna mod. I'm coming from the complete OPPOSITE end of the automotive spectrum (first car was a 90 LX 5.0, second and current is a 94 Formula 6 speed, and i'm selling my 2005 SRT4 soon), but i'm really looking for a comfortable but quick ride that is fairly reliable and wont bore me to death.

Are the s4's worth it?

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

older Audi and reliable = :rofl:

3. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

its more reliable then people say. i love mine, i drive it every day. however, if you do buy it, you should at least get a chip, its another 60-80hp

4. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

The only things I've heard that are unreliable about them are the turbo's and the clutch. Is this true?

5. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

The issues with the turbos is that they don't cool enough because no outside air gets to them. So they burn up quickly. I'm sure chipping will just speed that up and it will cost you a arm and leg to replace them.

6. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

I'm not an expert but when I was looking at them a while back I remember hearing you have to pull engine to replace the turbos.

I eventually went with an M over the S.

7. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

some people had turbo problems, with the 01.5 and 02 they put bigger oil lines in which helped fix some of the problems. i havent heard about too many clutch issues, i never had an issue with my clutch, or my turbos

8. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

In all honesty, I'm not worried about having to replace things, I just dont wanna have to do it all the time if you know what i mean. Having to do a weekend turbo job once isnt a deal breaker for me, but having to do it every 10k miles is. I've heard the k04 turbo's are a good upgrade, and are more reliable than the stock units, is this true?

9. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

you might have to change the turbos once, but not every 10k miles. the k04s are much more reliable, and with k04 hybrids, you can put down about ~500hp with the proper setup

10. S4SHIZL

S4SHIZL Evo crew

11. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

2001+ has the good oil lines. If its been or is chipped you'll eventually run into blown K03's, probably around 80,000 miles. If it hasn't been chipped you may not have an issue. But yea, if you grenade on of those bastards you've got to pull the engine. But what a better opportunity to get K04's.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006