Learn from my experience

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bleak, Jul 23, 2004.

1. bleak

bleak Guest

So I just firewalled myself (and everybody else in the world) off my server:

iptables -A INPUT -j DROP = very bad if you don't have rules allowing SSH/telnet in place beforehand :doh::uh::Owned:

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Everyone has done something like that one time or another.

Ever bring down the interface that you came in through? Doh!

One thing I've been doing lately,

service network stop

instead of

service networker stop

Once you realize what you've done it too late. Either I ilo in, take a walk, call someone to walk to the console.

3. diranged

diranged New Member

... :) Done this too many times. I have given up on remote network changes -- its ALWAYS a bad idea if there is another option.

4. bleak

bleak Guest

The problem is that my server is located a datacenter in Dallas, so it's pretty inconvenient to drive there whenever I want to make network changes (like I'll be doing later this afternoon, unfortunately).

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

i feel your pain. i don't know how many times i had to make middle of the night runs just to turn a server back on because i accidently shut down instead of restart over VNC while trying to do late night software updates. :(

at least our data center had a (free) sit-down pole position (the old school racing game) in the server room once i got there.

edit: luckily i knew the owners, so i eventually got them to give me a key to the place so i wouldn't have to bug them in the middle of the night when i did stupid shit like that. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  6. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

that sucks, man. I've done that a dozen times on my server. :hs:

7. bleak

bleak Guest

I have a 24/7/365 access key to the datacenter, so getting in isn't a problem. I just don't like Dallas.

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

i'm with you there. after they got more money than they knew what to do with, we used data return for a while. had to go up there for a few meetings.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

If you have a remote DC, why not implement a remote connection that doesn't rely on the network being up for the OS on that box?

We use Terminal servers, not the POS windows thing, but a real one that connects to your com port, and Avocent KVM's, and Integrated Lights Out cards.

10. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I remember the first time I did that. I laughed at myself so hard I almost cried.

11. bleak

bleak Guest

Me = too poor for that.