GUN Leahter holster question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Mar 11, 2009.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I just got my first leather holster in the mail. Do I have to 'break it in' or form it somehow? I double checked product codes and it's the right one. It's so tight I can't get the gun in even close to where it should be. It's so tight I'd have to force it with both hands. The slide actually starts to come back before it's all the way in.

What gives?

This is the holster:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpa...ce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=10613

2. Sometimes new leather holsters are very tight. Do a search on breaking in holsters on google. There's a lot of tips and tricks.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

What I do is, place the gun in a sturdy plastic bag, and then put the gun into the holster and leave it over night.

You can also take the leather, and using kitchen tongs, hold it over a boiling pot of water/tea kettle.

But the plastic bag trick has always worked for me. and is how I broke in my leather. Aside from practicing from it (draws, etc).

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

just keep holstering/drawing, preferably with it on. you just have to break it in.

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

AB13 do I just force it all the way in with the bag then?

If the gun was pushed all the way in I couldn't draw it without both hands. I had to pull it off my belt and use both hands to pull it apart.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

it'll take time dude lol

and, yes you'd put it in all the way with the bag. i used that trick on my leater mag carriers

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yup, force her in there. Shove the gun in the corner of the plastic bag, then shove that gun and plastic bag all the way into the leather holster. Let it sit for a day or two. Then work the gun in and out of the holster, kinda working the leather. :)mamoru:) sorry, just couldn't find any way to say that without the innuendo.

Then wear it everywhere you can get away with it. Carrying the gun will further break in the leather from movement and being on the belt.