LCD-TFT Defect!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by urbanlegend, Nov 26, 2007.

1. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

OK, little background story:

I've been buying Samsung screens for years. I've had one since LCD-TFT's first hit out in the mainstream (a 17" cost me almost a grand). Now, my next screen was a Samsung as well (purchased over a year ago). I haven't had problems with either screens - the original is still being used by a relative and is running just fine after 6-7 years!

And now comes today: I went through two Samsung screens: the 931BW and the 206BW and both have had stuck pixels. I tried the "tapping" method, the "massaging method," even several different programs that flash the RBG colours on the spot or the entire screen. On top of that, I was even desperate enough to try power cycling the monitor. To no avail, none of the methods have worked. Of course Samsung won't RMA it and neither will the store; not enough stuck/dead pixels.

To be perfectly honest, I could ignore the pixel and carry on without it, but it really bothers me that I pay good, hard earned money for a faulty product. I do not care what any of the companies say - a monitor should not have these problems and just because they don't want to give a 0 pixel guarantee is no reason to sell products with sub-par quality assurance. If their previous models didn't give problems, but their new products do, it leads me to believe that their product quality is going down hill [MASS PRODUCTION].

I will never buy another Samsung screen again. I repeat, I will NEVER buy another Samsung screen again. They have lost a life-long customer.

I know a pixel here and there might not be a big issue, but it's the principle. You may good money for a product that is supposed to have high-quality, and you end up getting screwed 2 monitors in a row (within days of each other).

If anyone has any suggestions or any resolution, please feel free to let me know! :sadwavey:

2. Chris

Chris New Member

I have 2 225BWs, and one of them has 1 pixel stuck on blue, but its in the lower right corner right up against the edge of the screen, so it doesnt really bother me

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Four screens doesn't make a trend. It sucks that you got two in a row with bad pixels, but that doesn't mean their QA/QC has gone to shit.

Try an LG screen instead. If I recall, they use Philips panels, which are some of the best in the industry.

4. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

I personally think people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to LCD displays. People demand zero defects in their product but want a reasonable price. The 931BW has ~1.3 million individual pixels and the 206BW has ~1.7 million individual pixels. To expect a 0% defect rate is not realistic. If the LCD manufacturer was to destroy every panel with one defective pixel, yield rates would drop dramatically and prices would go up. In this thread there are reports from five Samsung LCD monitors and they have a total of three dead pixels. Four of the monitors have a total of ~6.6 million pixels (the original was wasn't listed so the resolution couldn't be determined). That is a defect rate of 4.55e-7% which is amazingly low. If you don't like scientific notation, that comes out to 0.000000455%.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a 17" smsung lcd screen that is about 3 years old, came with no defects and still works like brand new.
    last year i bought a samsung lcd 40" hdtv, came with no defects at all either
    friend of mine bought a similar samsung 40" hdtv, his came with zero defects as well.

considering that the industry norm is to have several dead/hot pixels per product, we are greatly surprised that we have none.

6. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I'm not saying that there can never be problems, but it's a display. And yes, there are other companies, but don't most people realize most of the displays came from a single source? If I am not mistaken, NEC, Samsung and Dell all use the same LCD panel.

I am a Samsung fanboy, this is why I bought so many Samsung screens. I am just really disappointed because it appears that their new line is coming up with problems they rarely had in the past. The other issue is, most screens in the same range from other companies cannot compare to a 2ms grey-to-grey response and 3000:1 contrast ratio. Samsung by far had the best specs and in my eyes was the only choice. I am just frustrated at the fact I got a second screen in a row with the pixel issue and a bright green pixel does get annoying when you work in IT and are always at your machine.

7. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

For all I care, the monitor bezel and everything could have been hacked up but as long as the screen was perfect, I wouldn't care.

8. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Something like this wouldn't bug me, but a bright green/red dot in the middle of the screen does.

9. deusexaethera

What is the brightness on that 3000:1 screen? You do realize that a high contrast ratio combined with high brightness is terrible for your eyes, right? If you're going to get high contrast, the brightness needs to be relatively low -- that means the panel is using high-quality polarizing filters so it can make black be really dark, instead of making white be really bright.

10. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Yes I know. The contrast comment was just an example of the features I was describing. All I care about is the fact that my screen has an irritating dot in the middle of it.

You going to sit there and tell me you wouldn't be displeased with that and that I am being unreasonable and expecting perfection? Realize this: people work many hours at shitty pay at crappy companies to bring home the bread. When they go to buy the bread, if it's fucked up, that's not acceptable.

11. deusexaethera

I never said I wouldn't be upset about having a dead pixel in the middle of my screen. I said that two bad screens in a row doesn't make a trend, and that 3000:1 contrast doesn't make a great screen. I also recommended trying an LG screen.

12. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Well I believe it is a trend as I have done some further research and found complains about the same model from Samsung, not to mention NEC monitors are showing the same thing with their displays.

13. deusexaethera

If other people are having the same experience now, and they didn't used to, then yes it is a trend.

14. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

This is why I am calling it a trend now.