*LCD Q&A thread*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Balzak, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Balzak

Balzak New Member

I have a couple of questions:

1) I have a samsung 171v 17"....then i see the samsung 17E2, or what ever its called, but it costs over $1,000 dollars!
    My speculation is that they are pretty much the same except that the 17E2 has more than just a vga input? Are the display properties basically the same, or does the expensive one look better in its non-native resolutions and have better refresh rates?

btw, i tried using the sagestar PS2 VGA convertor for my 171V and it looked crappy as hell.

2) WHAT IS UP WITH "NATIVE RESOLUTIONS"? Why does it look so crappy in lower resolutions? does it digitally zoom it or something? and if so, why can they come up with something with mulit resolutions?

3) WHAT EXACLTY IS A REFRESH RATE?
    I go into display settings and i check the box that says "hide refresh rates that your monitor cannot display" and the only ones left are 60Hz, 70Hz, and 72Hz. I go with 72Hz because i figure, the bigger the number the better.

i only get 30 FPS when playing CS--> is this dependent on my monitor or my video card? in other words, im wondering if my LCD screen can display games past 30 FPS. If i got like a GF MX440, would I get a better frames persecond on my LCD?

thanks for any input.

2. Balzak

Balzak New Member

Please do not tell me that none of you know anything about LCDs. I would appreciate any kind of answer

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

1) I know nothing about these models but more expensive ones often do have higher refresh rates and overall better quality.

2) Look closely at an LCD. See all the little dots? Its like a giant checker board. A typical 17" LCD has 1280 columns and 1024 rows. If you try to display an 800x600 image on it, things aren't going to line up right. It can't light up 1/2 or 1/8 or 7/16ths of a pixel.

3) Olders LCD's all had a max refresh rate of 60Hz. That's fine for office type stuff but not so hot for games. Newer LCDs are starting to get higher refresh rates. DO NOT EXCEED THE MAX RESOLUTION OF YOUR DISPLAY.

You're getting 30 FPS because your video card and or computer sucks.

4. Balzak

Balzak New Member

So can a CRT screen light up 1/2 or 1/8 or 7/16ths of a pixel?

I used to play this gf2 on my 700mhz athlon, and i would get over 45 fps.

now, i have this gf2 in a 1.7 Ghz P4 machine.

5. Balzak

Balzak New Member

oh on those $1000+ multimedia lcds, how do they display lower resulutions? its not like they can show 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/8 of a pixel