LCD programing on Rackable Server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mc_88, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mc_88

mc_88 New Member

I picked up some rackable servers (an A2 and an A10) and I know you can change the text on the LCD in linux by echoing the text out on a serial port, but I'm running VMware ESXi, so I need to use the console port to do this. Anyone know how?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My Dells just show what I tell them to show in the BIOS. ESXi Server runs on Linux, but there's a lot of stuff disabled; like, I had to go into Tech Support mode so I could edit one of the .conf files to enable SSH so I could access the files on the boot volume over the network. Not the most fun I ever had.

What are you trying to show on the LCD, anyway?

3. mc_88

mc_88 New Member

Nothing in particular, I just want to be able to change it b/c it's there. I did look in BIOS a long time ago, but now you got me questioning myself. Might be awhile before I can take it down to look tho.

Well, rackable (now SLI) has the Roamer application where you can manage their servers and display temp and other such things on it. A quick email to the sales rep gets me no info and a warez search gets me nowhere, be sweet to get some of that functionality out of it

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Meh. My servers sit in a server room and I do everything through remote desktop. Can't use RDP with ESXi Server, but the vCenter Client software that comes with ESXi Server is pretty good about reporting hardware conditions.