LCD, Plasma, or DLP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeplorableButtslut, Dec 17, 2007.

?

Which one

1. Plasma

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. DLP

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. LCD

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. DeplorableButtslut

DeplorableButtslut OT Supporter

Which one is better and why? This will be a second tv in our den. We already have a 56" Samsung DLP.

2. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

DLP, bang for buck and as long as your seating doesn't require some fucked up viewing angle.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

LCD. The picture is clearer than DLP, it uses less power than plasma, and it's lighter than both.

4. DeplorableButtslut

:)

5. DeplorableButtslut

go with another DLP?

6. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

anyone telling you "X is better" without any good reason, is a fucking faggot and you should ignore them.

Plasmas are generally the better overall display, particularly for movies, TV, and occasional gaming.

LCD's offer you better performance if you have a lighted environment (lots of windows, flourescent lights, etc), and provide you with better Media and PC performance.

DLP's are, in terms of Picture quality, not as good as Plasmas, and have limited viewing angles in comparison. However, they give you the biggest size for your price, are generally very reliable, and can be calibrated to give you decent picture performance in a variety of environments.

See which one fits your house/apt and needs better, and budget of course. Having said that, I'd personally choose a good Pioneer or Panny Plasma most of the time.

7. DeplorableButtslut

This is going to be for the Den. I cant see getting another 56" tv. I was thinking in the 30-40" range. Maybe like a 42 or whatever is comperable to what samsung has. Do you own a LCD?

8. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

are you going to be using it primarly for TV viewing? sounds like it. Then your best bet is to get a good 42" plasma and call it a day.

Yes, I own a sony XBR4 LCD for my wife's practice.

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

the only situation in which an LCD can even be comparable in picture quality, in my opinion, is when you feed it high-def material at exactly the native resolution of the panel. If you watch a lot of DVDs or standard-definition channels, plasma produces a more natural and pleasing picture. If you decide to go that route, I'd lean toward a Panasonic plasma since this obviously isn't your primary viewing environment. And even their "low end" models produce an outstanding picture. I've got their 37" in my bedroom (paid less than $850 for it) and it has fabulous image quality.

10. lets_talk

lets_talk New Member

I would say DLP's actually have a better picture quality than plasmas in my experience. Viewing angle really isn't a problem--you should sit in front of the TV anyway for the best viewing experience. (If you're sitting at an angle you'll get a crick in your neck anyway.)

11. Chris

Chris New Member

DLP unless you just have to have a flat one to wall mount or something, then go LCD

and :h5: Samsung 56" DLP club

12. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

really?:rofl:

care to provide any links or technical details on how that is the case? would love to hear this.

Rear Projection TV's (including all DLP's, LcOS, etc) have marginal black levels when measured by ANSI standards, pretty substandard static contrast ratios (although their dynamic ratios are now huge), have the worst IRE tracking of any TV display on the market, and have by far the worst processors on the market.

Here is a calibrated DLP samsung IRE levels 10-100:
    [​IMG]
    here is a calibrated Pioneer Kuro:
    [​IMG]

Again, Here is the DLP's color space bias:
    [​IMG]
    and the Kuro's color space measurements:
    [​IMG]

in 2004, I would have given the edge to DLP's. Things have changed very much since then I'm afraid:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

you should kill yourself asap

you are a fucking idiot

14. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

. no burn in ftw too

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

man those pio plasmas are so hardcore

question: are there any projectors out right now that have good hi-def image quality in comparison to a plasma? Or is the only point of a projector at this stage of the game image size?

16. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Image size. Period.

Unless you're in a dead-black viewing room, remember the blackest black you can get on a front projector is the color of your screen. Which is generally WHITE or light grey.

I'm sure the "black level" card seems overplayed, but one of the biggest issues in image quality is the range available from darkest to lightest - bringing black levels down makes one of the most significant differences in overall image quality.

17. lets_talk

lets_talk New Member

Wow. I didn't know it was possible for someone to get so upset about a TV. Take a deep breath tiger, it'll be okay.

IMO DLP's have an amazing picture. The latest technology--DarkChip 4-- delivers a 30% or more increase in native contrast ratio. 6 color processing in the newer models makes for deeper blacks and brighter whites as well.

Another major plus for me is that DLP's cost less per square inch, so you can get a much bigger TV than plasma or LCD for the money.

Sorry to have offended anyone, as it was not my intention.

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Don't mind him he is just being LOUDSYSTEM

19. LMLYP

LMLYP New Member

workin in the Circuit City tv department, i gotta say i like the lcd's, mostly the samsung kdl4071f (40 inch) very nice and good refresh rate ( though i sometimes see tearing on blu ray movies)
    But i wouldnt rule out plasmas , as someone stated before, panasonic have some jawesome plasmas, but i have never seen a pioneer ( because we dont carry them) . he has really said all that has to be known about these two, but with the newer panasonic 77u series there is almost no glare, and are less likely to burn in . plus the added 1080p / sd reader for a 40 inch is also nice on them.
    (40 inch samsung 71f series should be around $2200 while a 42 inch 77u Panasonic will prolly be around $1700)
    as for projection tvs, i dont really know much bout em, we tend to sell projections once ever few weeks maybe. but i hear sony is dropping their projection line , so if you really want one of those buy them when they all go on clerance in a few weeks.

20. Ronin

Ronin Guest

this is where i quit reading

21. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

:roflw:

22. LMLYP

LMLYP New Member

shit sucks (cc)

23. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Only Plasmas for me.
    Saving up for PIO Kuro

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ultimately, you're going to have to go somewhere and look at what they have to offer. It's not a perfect comparison, but even Best Buy can provide you with side-by-side comparison in a consistent environment. You'll be quite impressed by the latest batch of LCD panels, I think. Plasma will always have the edge in black-point brightness because the pixels produce light instead of filtering it, but LCDs are really, really good at blocking almost all of the backlighting nowadays. Not to mention, it will pay for itself in reduced energy consumption and your den won't get hot every time you turn the thing on.

25. joetama

joetama New Member

Indeed those new Pioneers are dead sexy.

I have the Pro-940HD and LOVE it.

I honestly was pretty surprised when I saw the 950, the Kuro. Amazing...