LCD monitors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hideon9, Aug 4, 2005.

1. hideon9

hideon9 The plane will take off.

I've been looking into replacing my CRT with an LCD before I head to college and I was hoping that you all could answer a few questions for me.

1. What brands make the best LCDs right now? My old CRT has made me partial to Viewsonic monitors. It's been through alot of abuse (including falling out of the back of an SUV and then rolling down a hill) and it still works great.

2. What is the slowest refresh rate that would still be worthwhile for playing games on?

3. Will going higher than the recommended resolution on an LCD make it look like crap? I'm used to running 1680x1050 on my laptop, but the highest recommended resolution I've found for a 17" LCD is 1280x1024.

4. What other specifications make a major difference between monitors? Contrast Ratio? Brightness? Dot pitch?

5. Does this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116362) look like a good deal?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Logos

Logos New Member

Hi --

1. I've been looking at Dell's offerings quite a bit. They sport good visuals and a nice, low refresh.

2. Don't go by the numbers; e.g., an 8ms monitor may show more ghosting than a 12ms monitor because the grey-to-grey response time (that number) doesn't cover all situations. It's best to look at a review site and get a qualitative judgement.

3. You can't go higher than the native resolution, which is generally also the recommend resolution. There are a finite number of pixels on an LCD screen.

4. Contrast and brightness are both important, the former moreso. Again, you can't always go by the specs; check some review sites. "Dot pitch" will be a function of the monitor's physical size and its native resolution; that is, a 24" monitor at 1600x1200 will have a bigger "dot pitch" than a 20" at the same resolution, but it's not really a feature you shop for.

5. If you're interested in Dells, monitor www.gottadeal.com

Best.

3. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

4. Red-Level

Red-Level New Member

I just purchased 2 ViewSonic 19 Inch VX924's. One word: AWESOME!

The VX924 has a 4MS response time, no lie... It really is 4MS. You can play BF2, CS:S any game you want. There is 0 and I mean ZERO ghosting. The monitor is vivid and really puts out. It is well worth 400 dollars, you will not be dissapointed.

VX924 Product Home Page

NewEgg.com VX924 Link