LCD Monitor Troubles & Disappointments

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by steve3p0, Dec 17, 2005.

1. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

I recently purchased a new Viewsonic 19" LCD model VX924 (link: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/de...xseries/vx924/)

Some stats (if you are too lazy to click the link):

3ms Response time
    550:1 contrast ratio
    1280x1024 native resolution (the resolution I used)

I thought it was great at first, only found one dead pixel. But after about a week I began to notice imperfections.

To begin with, the contrast is uneven in different areas of the monitor. This effect is almost unnoticeable while in windows, surfing the net, etc, but it really becomes noticeable in dark areas of games. Near the top of the monitor, the contrast is very very poor. I have drawn a crude graphic in photoshop to attempt to illustrate the problem:

[​IMG]

The effect in the image above is over-exaggerated so that you get the point, but when the monitor is at a black screen(like a loading screen), that is basically what it looks like, and when the image loads the contrast is really bad in that area. It is not glare.

[​IMG]

If I stand up and look downwards at the monitor, the image looks fine. but if I am looking dead on, the contrast is bad near the top of the monitor. When the monitor is at a black screen, it is almost similar to the effect of someone holding a magnet near an old CRT, but it is only affecting the contrast, and only at the top of the screen.

Also, there is a strange effect which I assumed would go away when using an LCD, but its almost like the "tearing" effect that is experienced on older CRTs when playing video games. When I am playing games like cod2, hl2, dod:source, etc etc, the entire screen doesnt seem to refresh at the same time. The top part seems to refresh faster than the bottom, creating a tearing effect. Here is a crude photoshopped graphic of what I mean:

[​IMG]

Another thing I noticed is that there seems to be a pattern overlaying the images on the screen. Its very faint, but it is noticeable after a while, especially when doing any image editing in photoshop. I tried the other DVI port on my 7800gt, and I still got the same problem.

So I eventually traded my LCD for my brother's CRT, which is slightly smaller, but all of the above problems have gone away.

Whats the deal? Are all LCDs as disappointing as this, or is my unit defective?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Top two are the monitor. The contrast issue is due to the back-light placement. You should be (or could have been) able to adjust the contrast and brightness to remove most of it. The view angle issue is also indicative of the monitor being incorrectly adjusted. nVidia has a tool in the drivers to calibrate it (or maybe that was ATI, I forget) similar to Video Essentials type tests.

The bottom one is more likely the fault of the video card drivers or the monitor, but if you saw it on your old CRT too, then I'd guess it's not the monitor.

3. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

I said that the problems went away when I switched to the CRT monitor. It is definitely not the video card.

When I was talking about tearing, I was comparing the effect to older CRT monitors.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Are you driving the CRT with the same resolution, color depth, and refresh rate as the LCD?

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Well you said:
    But whatever. good luck.