LCD Monitor help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PhotoboothRelic, Feb 10, 2006.

1. PhotoboothRelic

PhotoboothRelic New Member

Ohkay, I've had this 15" off-brand monitor for a couple years now, and it seems to be crapping out on me. Blacks have green and red in them, and it's not displaying the right color depth (too light, even after adjustments).

Is this a backlight problem? Something else? Can I do anything about it?

I'm planning on getting a new monitor when I get tax money, anyway, but this color sucks, and I'm tired of having to use my laptop to watch videos and look at pictures.

2. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

Are there any bent pins on the end of the cable? :wiggle:

3. PhotoboothRelic

PhotoboothRelic New Member

No bent pins, good connections.

It's d-sub from my GeForce4 MX 440 64m :)o)

And it doesn't change anything if I wiggle cables, and the card is firmly in the slot.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

can you possibly try the monitor on another computer? maybe plug it into your laptop and see if it displays like it does with the other computer. it may be your video card, which you should probably replace anyways.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Every pixel on an LCD has tiny wires supplying it with its own tiny part of the overall video signal. There are no problems with alignment that could possibly be happening. So, the problem you're having could be two things:

1. The electronics inside the screen are failing and they're miscommunicating the proper signals to each pixel.

2. Your VGA cable is failing and wires are either shorting together or not contacting at all. VGA is much inferior to DVI, because VGA doesn't actually transmit a digital signal; it just splits up a normal TV-style signal into enough components that they're not likely to interfere, unless the cable is messed up. DVI cables don't have this problem; they just stop working altogether.

It's probably not your video card, unless the VGA plug got damaged.