LCD HDTV clarity questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by revert, Dec 26, 2004.

1. revert

revert *insert witty comment here*

Just got myself a Toshiba 23HL84 23" LCD TV and quality on it seems alright, but it seems to be a little grainy than my regular crt tv. Also when I tried playing ps2 games on it, it looked like crap. Im planning on returning this tv, Im just curious if theres any other alternatives to make it more clearer:wtc:

P.S Im using a rogers digital cable box

Regards,
    Kris

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

LCDs have a static number of pixels. When using it's native resolution, picture quality will be awsome. However, when you use a differnet resolution, the controller must extrapolate/interpolate, and things won't quite line up... So picture quality becomes grainy.

3. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

this is exactly why i tell people not to get hdtv sets if at least 60% of what they are going to watch is hd. anytime you input a signal that is less than 1080i, that signal has to be converted, so that the tv can play it. unfortunately, this upconversion introduces alot of artifacts into the picture, and is NEVER going to look as good as A: the original, and B: high definition. people get dissapointed when their regular 480 +/- resolution doesnt look like 1080i, just because they bought a new tv. btw, most regular signals nowadays are right around 480, and can be as low as 300 lines of resolution. this kind of signal will never look good on a tv designed for 1080 lines. just think, the cpu in the tv has to come up with 500 +/- extra lines....

4. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

so does that mean its not worth it to get an HDTV? Or is this problem just with the LCD HDTVs, and plasma HDTVs are fine?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

any time a conversion is done. clarity is lost. The exception is when the conversion is a perfect multiple (for example, 800x600 looks the same native as it would in 1600x1200.)

6. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Is there a reason you a) need a flat panel diplay b) want an HD set under 30"?

CRT is still by far the best as far as image quality goes and you really don't start to appreciate HD source until you get into the larger sets.