Layer Cake and British Ganster Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by dk01, Mar 23, 2005.

1. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

Ok the idea of british gangster is funny as is but I really loved Snatch and Lock Stock. I watched Layer Cake (same director) and like it, but did not love it. Maybe it was the lack of dry humor that caused the film to seem especially dark. Have you seen Layer Cake? Rank your fav British gangster movies. Are there any other ones worth seeing?

1. Snatch
    2. Lock, Stock
    3. Layer Cake

-dk

2. mrpo

mrpo New Member

Errr.... Michael Vaughan directed Layer Cake and Guy Ritchie did the other 2 aint it?

If you enjoyed those then I suggest you pick up the Lock, Stock television series available on DVD.

3. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

Hmmmm I guess you are correct. Seems there was some confusion with the person who suggested it to me. I didn't know there was a tv series. Will have to check that out!

-dk

4. SmokeTheFly

SmokeTheFly New Member

Great viewing.

5. PC

PC Active Member

Why is the idea of a British gangster funny?

I liked Essex Boys with Sean Bean. (Awesome actor by the way)

6. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Lock Stock / Snatch are great films.

I've yet to see layer cake.

7. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Saw Layer Cake today and I liked it. I liked it, but not as much as the Guy Ritchie movies.

But I would also recommend "Sexy Beast" & "Gangster #1". Great style and the Brits spend more money on the script than the explosions.

8. stillwell

stillwell Who wants Ice Cream?

My review of Layercake. Enjoy.

"Always remember that one day all this drug monkey business will be legal. They won't leave it to people like me... not when they finally figure out how much money is to be made - not millions, fucking billions. Recreational drugs PLC - giving the people what they want... Good times today, Stupor tomorrow. But this is now, so until prohibition ends make hay whilst the sun shines. "-XXXXX

That's how it starts, panning through an FCUK boutique filled with designer ecstasy and cocaine. XXXXX is the coke dealing protaginist, fantasizing while picking up some things at the pharmacy. He's getting out of the business, after he gets one last deal done on 25 million pills of ecstasy with a dodgey history.

"Layercake" is a British crime caper produced by the same guys who brought us "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch", but without the directing talents of Mr. Madonna, Guy Ritchie. Not a problem, unless you are expecting the same high paced comic action of those movies. This movie is much more along the lines of "Sexy Beast", filled with truly ruthless people doing what they have to do.

This movie wil definately go down as being one of the more quotable films of the year, with great lines like "Oh, you give a fuckin' asprin a headache, pal!" and "Fucking girls is for poofs." Also, I'd never be one to let lose a spoiler, but don't get up early to leave. But the most memorable thing about this movie is THE most EPIC beat-down scene. Ever. I won't tell you who or when, but you'll know it when you see it. It will make you think twice about trusting your friend to drive you to get rid of the body.

Anyway high score for this one. I'll give it four and a half stars. Definately worth the ticket, if you can find it playing near you.

9. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

i came here to make a same exact thread. I just seen layer cake and loved it. Everyone should list as many Brit movies as possible that have same feel as the other 3.

10. avsp

avsp "And we won't be together much longer Unless we re

like the original 'get carter' with its oblique plot, north v south location/subtext, it isnt especially funny tho
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067128...0IGNhcnRlcnxodG1sPTF8bm09b24_;fc=2;ft=20;fm=1

if its funny your after & you like micheal caine then the original 'italian job' is a classic
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064505...hbGlhbiBqb2J8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=2;ft=21;fm=1

scum is a kids prison movie & is great
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079871...wfHE9c2N1bXxodG1sPTF8bm09b24_;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1

& best football hooligan movies isthe firm
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095158...9dGhlIGZpcm18aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=2;ft=20;fm=1

the long good friday
    & mona lisa
    are both pretty good gangster movies but they arent the knowing, stylised stuff that Vaughn & Ritchie do

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005