GUN Lawyer: Shooting suspect attacked by 'lynch mob'

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 28, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think I posted this when it first happend, finally going to trial now, hope the guy gets off.

Lawyer: Shooting suspect attacked by 'lynch mob'

BY ALFONSO A. CASTILLO

[email protected]

November 28, 2007

Revving the thunderous engines of their muscle cars, blocking off the street, and using the N-word to call out their teenage foe, the five young men who came to John White's home in the middle of the night on Aug. 9, 2006, had bad intentions, White's attorney said yesterday.

And it was those intentions that got Daniel Cicciaro Jr. killed, he told jurors on the first day of the manslaughter trial of the black Miller Place man accused of fatally shooting the white teen.

"They were a mob," Paul Gianelli, of Hauppauge, told jurors. "It was a lynch mob."

But prosecutor James Chalifoux told jurors the case was not about racism, underage drinking, or Cicciaro's actions.

"John White's actions are why he's here. John White's actions are why you are all here," Chalifoux said. "John White's actions are why Daniel Cicciaro is not here."

White, 53, is charged with second-degree manslaughter and third-degree weapons possession in the incident, in which prosecutors say he shot Cicciaro, 17, in the face in front of the driveway of White's Miller Place home. Gianelli contends the shooting was accidental.

Opening statements in the trial took place in a tense Riverhead courtroom. On one side, there were friends and relatives of Cicciaro - some bearing tattoos of "Dano Jr." On the other were White's supporters, including members of the Brookhaven NAACP chapter.

Cicciaro's father, Daniel Sr., declined to comment.

Chalifoux said the night began at a Miller Place birthday party for Craig Martin, a friend of John White's son, Aaron, in which alcohol was served. Martin's younger sister, Jenny, said she was uncomfortable with Aaron White's presence because he had allegedly previously made violent and sexual threats against her in an Internet chatroom, Chalifoux said.

Upon Cicciaro's request, Aaron White agreed to leave, but later, Cicciaro called him on the phone, apparently drunk, and an argument ensued. Cicciaro referred to Aaron White using the N-word, prosecutors said.

Accompanied by four other teens - including one who brought with him an aluminum baseball bat - Cicciaro went to the White home to confront him, attorneys said. Gianelli said Aaron White awoke his father and said, "Dad, some kids are coming to kill me."

Chalifoux said Cicciaro and his friends went to the house expecting an argument or fight but "just like Daniel and his friends didn't get what they expected, John White did not act as you would expect a 53-year-old man to act."

Chalifoux said rather than lock the doors or call the police, John White armed himself with a unlicensed handgun and his son with a shotgun and went outside.

Gianelli disputed prosecutors' version, and said that John White was unknowingly followed by his son, who picked up the shotgun on his way out. Gianelli also said that John White told his wife, Sonya, to call the police. She did not.

Once outside, John and Aaron White were barraged with racial slurs, according to Gianelli. When John White turned to go back inside, Cicciaro grabbed for the gun, and it went off in his face, Gianelli said.

Suffolk Police Officer David Murray testified that when he arrived at the home minutes after the shooting, John White put out his hands and told Murray "he did what he had to do ... 'You might as well put the cuffs on me.' "

Murray said Aaron White hugged his father, who told his son, "This is the end for me. ... I told you those friends of yours would turn on you."

2. Section8

Section8 .

Where was this? I only see Suffolk Police referenced, no state.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NY

4. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

honestly, he made some bad decisions. He should not have originally had the unlicensed firearm. He also should not have gone outside unless neccessary. His comments are also damaging.

6. 7lvis

7lvis Guest

Im having trouble comprehending. So 5 blacks were coming for 2 white guys. The white guys come out of the house. 1 white guy accidentally shoots himself with the other white guys gun?

7. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Yeah, that article is very poorly written. I had to re-read sections several times just to get clarity as to what the hell is going on.

Edit: And I'm still not sure.

8. Werm

Werm Guest

What did I just read?

9. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

john white = black guy
    aaron white = his son

I assume the five people that came to his house were white.

10. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

11. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

Yeah... the White family is black and the other kids (and teh dead one) that came to their house were white.

12. 7lvis

7lvis Guest

I got confused I presumed it was the black kids shouting n166er & driving muscle cars