GUN Law's on selling a rifle ( AR-15 ) in SC??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spitfire544, Aug 21, 2008.

1. spitfire544

spitfire544 New Member

I'm thinking about selling my ar-15 and didn't know what laws were out there about privately selling it? Can anyone offer some in-site. I live in SC.

Thanks.

2. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I don't know how well this applies to SC, but in a lot of states (that aren't CA, MA, IL, NJ, etc--the notoriously anti-gun places) face-to-face private party sales are completely OK.
    Just show up with the rifle, the other guy shows up with the money, you swap, you both leave happy.

3. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Just do a bill of sale.

4. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Not necessary, other than for piece of mind.

5. cantankerously

You'd sell a gun without doing a bill of sale?

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Both have to be residents of SC to avoid going through an FFL, also.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd follow the legal requirements of my state, nothing more.

8. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

:rofl:

Of course this shows up two weeks after I buy and build my AR.

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

why the fuck would you sell it, it will be bant in a year :noes:

10. Emfuser

:werd:

The dems are gearing up for another AWB and further national restrictions. Expect AWB II to be far worse than AWB I was.

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i wonder if you can buy "junk" barrels and collapsible stocks to "assemble" crap AR's that you can rebuild later with quality parts :o

12. Emfuser

The way it is right now, the lower receiver is the gun because it's the serialized part. I would be surprised if they went so far with their bill as to try and make all parts tracked and banned.

If they try some shit like that, I wouldn't be surprised if some crazed motherfucker started killing politicians. Of course, they'd use a gun, which would fuck everyone else and have exactly the opposite effect intended.

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

ive been paying down debt, i just don't want to have to buy a bunch of 30 round magazines, lowers, ect because i won't be able to in a few months :o

14. mvizos

mvizos New Member

All this talk makes me think I need to get to the gunshop today and spend that bonus I'm getting.

15. cantankerously

So you wouldn't want to absolve yourself from any potential criminal or civil liability, nor in some cases, abide by the statute of frauds?

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Criminal liability? I said I would follow the law, what would I be charged with? What civil liability? How would a sales receipt show that I didn't sell to a crazed ax murderer? Statute of frauds? How would you possibly relate that to a ftf gun sale? Its great to talk about fears of what might happen, can you show me some cases where gun owners completing a legal sale were fucked because they didn't make out a receipt?

17. cantankerously

It's proof that you no longer own the gun at a certain point. If you can't see the benefit of this, then you are a complete moron.

18. I could make up a bill of sale for any gun I want. It doesn't "prove" anything.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So then your answer is no, you cannot show me any gun owners who have been fucked by not having a receipt for a gun sale and the best you can do is name calling. What do you think is going to happen? I sell my gun to some guy at the gun show, it gets stolen from him and some drug dealer kills another drug dealer with it in the ghetto who leaves it at the scene, then the police will show up at my door and take me to court on murder charges? Soybomb, despite having no record, no motive for murder, no link to the victims, no evidence of being at the crime scene, and in general being an upstanding kind of guy will become a suspect because he sold a gun without taking down the buyers name?

Further, what proof is a scrawled out piece of paper? I suppose I could see if you had it notorized that it might be considered real proof of sale but otherwise I could write sales receipts for all the guns I have in my safe now. It in no way proves I don't have them.

If you're really worried the real solution isn't to play junior lawyer and throw around phrases you heard once to try to defend the need, its to just take your gun to a ffl, pay him $20 and have it on the books. I'll start doing that when I see a demonstrated need for doing so. Ymmv, its your cash.

Gun owners are our own worst enemy sometimes. Guns? OMG we must treat them like radioactive waste!

20. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Done it plenty of times before, my state doesn't require it. I check their ID and ask that they have a Georgia Firearms License, that's all I need

21. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

game set match, pawn shop employee just got :Owned:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  22. cantankerously

I wouldn't sell anything without some sort of bill of sale much less a gun. And that isn't a gun salesman in me taking - it's the law degree in me talking. The most important part about a bill of sale is the date. Say you sell a gun to someone on a certain day, and the next day the gun is used in the crime. Holy shit you don't have a bill of sale. While you probably will be okay, wouldn't it save you a huge headache to have a bill of sale showing you relinquished ownership of the gun the previous day? You honestly don't think that's a good idea? Or are you just arguing with me to be a troll?

23. cantankerously

It is proof that you transferred gun ownership to someone at a certain point in time. And unless you forge their signature, you can't make up a bill of sale for any gun you want.

24. cantankerously

Go ask any attorney if that's a good idea. I wouldn't sell a couch without drawing up a bill of sale.

25. spitfire544

spitfire544 New Member

Thanks guys.
    PS I'm selling an Armalite. collapsible stock. cheap scope that I never used. nice tactical case, 2 thirty round mags.
    Only had about 700 rounds put through it.
    Anyone whose in SC and is interested let me know.