LGBT Laws for a SGA

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Dustin87, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Dustin87

Dustin87 The Bitchy Boi

I am planning on opening a SGA when I go to my college... but the problem is, this is a priivate college... can they legally tell me that I cant have this club when they have other christian clubs?

2. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

Is SGA a Straight-Gay Alliance or Student Government Association?

If it's number 1, I think it is usually abbreviated GSA.

I think a lot of issues come into play. Do you want this to be a college recognized club? If so, where do the clubs get their funding? At the college I attended, club funds were allocated by the Student Government.

Funds can be denied with little reasoning given, especially at a private institution. I believe in most states, sexual orientation isn't covered under discrimination protection. So those are both issues.

A few more questions. I guess the school doesn't already have a GSA? If not, is there a reason (rule against such a club)?

Also, which school are you attending? If I get bored at work tomorrow, I could look over their website for information. It's gonna be a slow day, if I even have to go in :mamoru:

3. Dustin87

Dustin87 The Bitchy Boi

4. Ferron

I should have time to look it over tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.

5. Dustin87

Dustin87 The Bitchy Boi

Thanks... if ya want you can email me at dustin87 @ gmail.com

6. Ferron

Cliffs: Good luck:hs: ....:hsugh:

Pg 98 of the Catalog

"Student Organizations
    The College has more than 30 student organizations that provide interesting leadership and learning opportunities. Organizational interests include academic support and recognition (honor societies),community service, campus programming and activities, residence life, student community government, spiritual development, wellness, wilderness/environmental, vocal, theatrical etc."

Pg. 7 of the 2004-2005 Student Handbook

These clubs and organizations seem to be funded through the Community Government (SGA). You will need to find a faculty/staff member to advise the club. A new club will need to petition for recognition to the Community Government. Faculty approval may also be required (sketchy!!)

They definitely do not have anything like a GSA, at least not officially recognized in their handbook. The official clubs look very targetted (read: no diversity in intersests).

Pg. 25 of Student Handbook http://www.unionky.edu/Camplife/Pubs/student_handbook_0405.pdf
    B-2 Union College is committed to the principles of nondiscrimination along the lines of gender, race, religion, national origin, or special challenges/disabilities. Discrimination is defined as denying or attempting to deny a person(s) the full rights and privileges of membership in the College community based on any of the characteristics listed above. (Notice anything missing?)

This is one of my favorite from the Code of Ethics. :mamoru:
    C-4 Union College’s values hold that relationships between students must express strong character, good will, consideration, and responsibility. Involvement in sexual relations between students outside marriage on campus is held as being contradictory to institutional values.

Pg. 35 of Student Handbook.
    "As a church-related college, Union recognizes the Social Principles of the United Methodist Church. Within these principles are guidelines for human relationships. Specifically, “the Church affirms that men and women have equal worth in the eyes of God... and rejects that one gender may receive love, power and esteem only at the expense of another... Sexuality is recognized as God’s good gift to each person. Each person is called to the disciplined, responsible fulfillment of themselves, others and society in the stewardship of this gift. United Methodist doctrine holds that sexual relations are only clearly affirmed in the marriage bond... (furthermore)... sexual relations where one or both partners are exploitative, abusive, or promiscuous are beyond the parameters of acceptable behavior and are ultimately destructive to individuals, families, and the social order.”

Zero references to gay, homosexual or queer on their website or in their publications (Student Handbook or Catalog). ​

The official stance of the Methodist Church
    http://www.answers.com/topic/christian-views-of-homosexuality

Methodism

The United Methodist Church officially considers "the practice of homosexuality (to be) incompatible with Christian teaching" and states that "self-avowed practicing homosexuals" cannot be ordained as ministers. Some local congregations have defied the church leadership on this issue and have fought the policy in church courts. In 1987, a Methodist church court in New Hampshire defrocked Methodist minister Rose Mary Denman for being openly gay. In March 2004, a church court in Washington state acquitted minister Karen Dammann, who lived with a same-sex partner, based on an ambiguity in church law. That ambiguity was then eliminated by the Methodist supreme court, and in December 2004 a church court in Pennsylvania defrocked minister Irene Elizabeth Stroud, who lives with a same-sex partner, voting to convict by a seven-to-six majority.

Politically, the Methodist church has supported civil rights for gays, although it is unclear whether that support extends to same-sex marriage. "

7. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Are you currently attending this college, or planning to attend this college? And what are your goals for this GSA?

8. CoCo

Oh, and good job on the cliffs, babe.

9. Dustin87

Dustin87 The Bitchy Boi

I plan on attending this college in the fall.

10. CoCo

I suggest testing the queer waters there first. [You're some form of fag, right?] I doubt it, but if you are the only queer person seemingly around, and there doesn't seem to be any allies willing to help out, then there really isn't a huge benefit to this GSA. However, if you arrive to find some queer underground awaiting organization, then I'll be happy to help in any way that I can in making a Union College GSA a reality...

Taylor, Ferron, and I definitely have the experience to make the process easier, and I have the right contacts if the process is too hard even for us.

11. Dustin87

Dustin87 The Bitchy Boi

Thanks guys, and yes I am gay. But anyways, I will be going down there soon when I can walk again without crutches!

12. CoCo

...see, that's why I always tell Ferron to stretch prior to sex. Throwing your legs behind your head WITHOUT stretching leads to things tearing, and that just isn't attractive. :coolugh:

13. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I'd check on www.hrc.org (Human Rights Campaign)

They probably have something on there that'll help you get a group going

14. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

This could be fairly time consuming, and well, if you work 25 or more hours a week and go to school full time, you're going to not have all the time you have now.

I would wait to see on a few things....at least get through your first semester.

15. Dustin87

Dustin87 The Bitchy Boi

Well see I wont have to have a job... Mom and Dad are going to pay my way through college and such.

16. Ferron

17. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

What nice parents :(