GUN Lawmaker who got e-mail threat says he'll wear bulletproof vest

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 28, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...otemailthreatsayshellwearbulletproofvest.html

Lawmaker who got e-mail threat says he'll wear bulletproof vest
    MARTHA RAFFAELE
    The Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. - A Philadelphia lawmaker who supports tougher gun-control laws said Thursday he will likely start wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying his gun more often after receiving a threatening e-mail.

Rep. Jewell Williams said during a news conference on gun control that he would ask police to investigate an e-mail he received Thursday morning from an Allentown resident saying that Williams should be shot for supporting Rep. Angel Cruz, also a Democrat from Philadelphia.

Williams, a former police officer who has a gun permit, said he also felt threatened by a gun-rights rally Tuesday during which two participants held up a banner calling for Cruz to be "hung from the tree of liberty." The message was protesting legislation sponsored by Cruz to require gun registration and a $10-a-gun annual fee.

"Now that I hear this attitude of people recommending lynching, I'll probably be wearing my gun more and possibly wearing my bulletproof vest, because we now think we're being threatened," Williams said.

A spokesman for the Capitol Police, Edward Myslewicz, said no formal complaint had been filed Thursday about either the banner or the e-mail Williams said he received.

Black lawmakers denounced the banner's message as racist and "a terroristic threat."

Rep. Thaddeus Kirkland, D-Delaware, sent a letter Wednesday to the state police commissioner, Col. Jeffrey B. Miller, in which he demanded a "thorough and full investigation" of the banner. The rally attracted hundreds of gun-rights supporters.

"I believe that certain members of this organized rally were so displeased with Rep. Cruz's legislation that they wanted him dead," wrote Kirkland, chairman of the Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus.

A spokesman for Miller said Thursday that he had seen a picture of the banner and would refer Kirkland's letter to Capitol Police.

"It's more of a legal question. ... Is it protected speech or is it something that was intimidating or threatening?" Miller said. "It probably has to be determined by a district attorney."

The gun-control news conference took place just before the House Judiciary Committee heard testimony on proposals to limit gun purchases to one a month and require the reporting of lost or stolen handguns.

Diane Edbril, executive director of CeaseFirePA, an organization that supports "one-gun-a-month" legislation, referred to the banner in her testimony before the committee.

"We are all being held hostage by a small gang of thugs who have hoodwinked the General Assembly into thinking that we cannot and should not do more to prevent handgun violence from ruining our lives and our commonwealth," Edbril said.

One of the committee's members, Rep. Will Gabig, took issue with Edbril's statement, calling the two protesters "a couple of derelicts who have been condemned by the entire House."

"To try to broad-brush the people on the other side is a little bit of rhetorical flair that I find a little hard to take," said Gabig, R-Cumberland.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Mmmm hypocricy.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i stopped reading right there :rofl:

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

it's tasty and juicy :yum:

5. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

How does a bulletproof vest save you from hanging?

6. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

7. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

because since they banned black talons, bullet proof vests are again a sure way to save your life against any life threatening attack.

8. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I hear they destroy knives on contact! :noes:

9. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

hahahahahaha :ugh2:

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

It'll straight up melt the blade if it even gets close.

11. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

:rofl: @ irony.

So, being "hung from the tree of liberty" is now a racist saying? Fuck, I guess metaphores are no longer a part of our language, eh?

12. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I seem to recall that both guys holding the sign were identified in an earlier article.

The irony here is staggering:
    Some gun-control nut is worried about people with regular jobs that were identified (self-identified no less) ... and not the real thugs that her groups is aiding?