Latest project: Stebel Nautilus Air Horn Install

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sharkticon, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Motorcycle: 2005 YZF600RTS

The horn and it's wiring is pretty straight forward. Follow the instructions to connect the included relay to the existing horn wiring and you will be good to go. The most difficult part is FINDING A PLACE TO MOUNT THE HORN. I started at 8am this morning and just finished at 6pm. Taking several beer breaks along the way.

The good thing about this horn is that it can be separated in to 2 pieces; the air compressor and the horn section. This is the route I took as there was not enough room to mount the whole horn behind the fairing without major modification. (Or I was just too lazy to go that route)

[​IMG]

I mounted the air compressor in the compartment under the seat and zip tied it in. Don't mind the nest of wires. I can make things work but can't make them neat. The clear tubing you see is a 5/8 diameter clear air tube I got from Home Depot, (10 feet worth). It runs from the compressors outlet, down the inside the fairing of the bike, to the horn. The hose didn't exactly fit into the inlet on the horn so I had to slice the tube and fold it over to fit. A few drops of superglue or silicon sealant wouldn't hurt to make sure it stays. BTW, that little hole you see top center on the compressor is the air intake. It is supposed to be mounted facing the rear or a tube inserted to face the rear to keep debris from entering the compressor. Since it is under my seat, there's less worry of that actually happening.

[​IMG]

Just above the stock horn is a plastic deflector. Being that once I separated the horn from the compressor, there was no actual mounting point for it. So I zipped tied it to the deflector and screwed the deflector back into place. If I ever get the front clip off, I will add a few more zip ties for good measure.

[​IMG]

It hides out of the way pretty neatly.

The last part was the relay. Follow the directions to hook up the stock horn wiring to the relay and then to the horn, (air compressor has the actual connections). I recommend you get extra lengths of 18 guage PRIMARY wire for the install, (depending on where you decide to install the horn).

[​IMG]

Use everything that comes with the kit. This horn will not work with the stock wiring. Well, it may work for one horn button push and then your horn button will probably short out or fry itself.

Does it work? HELL YES! Scared the hell out of my pocket dogs. The sound is instant with the push of the button and it's LOUD. No compressor lag whatsoever. Puts the stock horn to shame. I would have a test video but it's late and I don't want to disturb my neighbors.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

:wiggle:

2. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

How much did it cost?

I've only used my horn twice, and once was accidental. :o

3. Sharkticon

$34.95 for the horn.

I've used the STOCK horn on ocassion and it was ineffective in getting the drivers attention. With this horn, I won't have that problem.

I guess you can say it's one of those NICE TO HAVE IF NEEDED things.

4. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

did you get it online? Do you know how many dB's it is?

5. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

So its super loud or just pretty lour? My friend has a BMW RT with a horn so loud it scared me on my bike when I was behind him! I was following him after he just got the bike, he honked the horn for the first time and I about jumped out of my seat. Funny thing is he jumped too! Thats how loud I want my horn to be!

6. Sharkticon

I got it from www.bikerhiway.com. The relay kit came included in the price. Some other sites and EBay don't offer the kit and/or they charge extra for it.

It is rated at 139Db. But those ratings are misleading. If you read the fine print, it states, 139Db at 4 inches, 115Db at 2 meters. Supposedly there is a 144Db horn available too.

It is SUPER LOUD. I tested it this morning on my way to work. A driver with cell phone in his left hand, elbow resting on the door and phone to ear, coffee and cigarette in his right hand on the steering wheel. I gave him a 3 second blast and he dropped his phone. :x:

I like it because it's unexpected that a bike would have a horn that loud.

7. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

even 115 dB is loud as fuck. 140 something dB is insanely loud like it could very easly damage your ears:eek3:

8. Sharkticon

That's why I only use short bursts on the horn.

9. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

i still want to hear this horn. at over 100dB its shure to get anyone attention, and if you got the super 140 dB model im shure you could get noise vilotation tickets, at least around here.

10. Sharkticon

I think the 144Db was a misprint. From the Stebel website, the 139Db model is available.

I should have a video posted tonight. I don't believe the video will do it justice unless I have a Db meter or another bikes stock horn to compare it to.

11. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

is your stock horn still hooked up? blast that then the air:naughty: .

12. Sharkticon

[​IMG]

13. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

seemed pretty noisy, but i thought it would be louder for over 120 dB, its probally just the video.:)

14. Sharkticon

The video does it no justice. You must hear it in person. :)

15. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

Ahahaha awesome