Latest details™ v. 944, 928, Z06, WRX, more

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

1987 Porsche 944 turbo. Owner has been a customer for about 5 years now. He had the car repainted in late spring last year (mother backed into the side, went ahead and had the whole car done) by the same shop that is working on my Maxima. Since then, other than a coat of OCW I applied to it in early May, he has maintained it with ONR washes and Meguiars Quick Detailer. I went out today to give the car its first polish since the paint job.

In the one or two times the sun popped out today, I could see the car was still pretty much completely swirl free. Between the excellent buffing the car got after wetsanding and the owner's careful wash regiment, the paint still looked excellent. Went over it with Meguiars #205 with my G110 using a yellow Meguiars polishing pad and waxed it with Clearkote's Carnauba Moose. The exhaust tip and visible pipe was polished with Meguiars #105 followed by Optimum Metal Polish. Really wish I did a before shot but based on how it looked, I wasn't expecting it to come out like it did-and apparently neither did the owner because that is the first thing he noticed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is about it for sun shots, by the time I'd get the camera focused, the sun would gone again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

====================

1984 Porsche 928. Original single stage Guard's Red. Detailed it a couple years ago with the help of Weekend Warrior (fellow detailer from autopia.org) when he was in town, so it definitely needed some polishing again. Meguiars 80 series polishes are definitely superior to #105/205 when it comes to older single stage paints. Started off with Meguiars #83 using my G110 and an orange Soft Edge cutting pad, followed by Meguiars #80 with a yellow Meguiars polishing pad. The paint was waxed with Carnauba Moose.

I actually did the 928 and Altima right after Christmas, yes, I am that far behind posting up details. :noes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=============

2007 Nissan Altima Coupe. 6 speed, VQ35, probably quicker than the 928 is! The car really needs a hard correction but the owner says with it being his wife's daily driver, just a shiny, protected finish is what he wanted. The only real area of concern to him was a touch-up that had been done that left a pretty big ridge.

Wetsanded it with Meguiars 2000 Uni-grit paper:

[​IMG]

Optimum Compound using an orange Soft Edge cutting pad via G110:

[​IMG]

Optimum Polish using a yellow Meguiars polishing pad:

[​IMG]

Not sure what those two lines are in the pictures, probably telephone lines. The actual touch up is now only visible at an angle and the paint is all the same level.

I then went over the whole car using Optimum Polish/Meguiars yellow, followed by Opti-Seal.

[​IMG]

Yes, I know my car was dirty....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

===============

2004 Subaru WRX. Belongs to a regular customer's son. I've been taking care of the Dad's three vehicles regularly since last year and I've never seen the WRX clean. The Dad decided get it cleaned up.

ONR wash, lightly clayed the back end with Optimum Opti-Clay (rest of the vehicle was very smooth), then polished with Meguiars #205 using my G110 and a 5.5" orange Erasure cutting pad. Did a nice job cleaning up the paint. This wasn't a correction detail but there was still a very noticeable reduction in swirls. I followed with Optimum Opti-Seal and after wiping down the interior, cleaning the glass and touching up the tires and fenderwells, I went back over the paint with Optimum Car Wax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=================

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle. I've been taking car of this one since new, light polish and wax about 3 times a year. The owner is trading it in on something new (no idea what she is getting, she's a doctor and left her keys, check and note of what she wanted done with the receptionist), hopefully not another Beetle, she's already had 3.

Anyway, while the paint could use some deep polishing (she runs it through a tunnel wash or hand washes it herself), she basically just wanted it to look good enough to trade in. Went over the paint with Optimum Polish using my G110 and an orange 5.5" Erasure cutting pad, followed by Optimum Car Wax.

This pale yellow is tough to photograph in the sun, the shade shots show how wet the paint turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

==================

Haven't posted one of these in forever. Either I am working, riding my bike or involved in family stuff the past several weeks.

2007 Chevy Corvette Z06. Customer bought it used from the original owner in Chicago who had the engine work done (headers, exhaust, cold air, minor porting, cam, etc), about 580-600 RWHP) but didn't take great care of the exterior. My customer had purchased a Flex 3401, pads, 3M Extra Cut, Zaino Z5 and a few other products. He was kind of frustrated with the slow progress (he is new to paint polishing) and had some hazing issues going from Extra Cut with a cutting pad straight to Z5 with a polishing pad. He'd done the entire front end but it was pretty hazy-typical result going from a compound straight to a wax or sealant. He decided to have me polish out the car and then advise him on what he needed to do to keep his car up after that.

He seemed to have done a good job removing the swirls from the front but the hazing needed to be gone. Used my Meguiars G110 using 5.5" orange Erasure cutting pads with Meguiars #205.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Starting from the doors backward over the rest of the car, I used Meguiars #105 using my G110 and the 5.5" orange Erasure pads, followed by #205/5.5" orange. What surprised me was the last of haze I was getting with #105 and the small orange pads.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Half and half shot:

[​IMG]

After going over the car with #105/205 and the 5.5" orange pads, I then switched to the Meguiars yellow foam polishing pad with #205 over the whole car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished the car off using Clearkote Pink Moose Plus (RMG + VM + something else) using a blue Propel finishing pad via G110 and then waxed it with Carnauba Moose.

Only garage shots, it was raining most of the afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't do anything other than a wipe down under the hood, but you can't have a modified Z06 thread without at least one engine shot!

[​IMG]

===================

2002 Audi A6. Been taking care of this one for about 4 years now. Was really rough when he first got it, courtesy of the dealer. He does a nice job maintaining it now, basically just do a light polish and wax 3-4 times a year.

Went over the whole car using my G110 with Meguiars #205 and a 5.5" orange Erasure cutting pad and sealed it with Wolfgang Fuzion. The owner has been a customer since the mid 90s, his daughter was 2 when I first started detailing his cars. Anyway, she is now 16 and this is the first time she's commented on her Dad's car. When she came outside to run an errand in her car, she looked at the Audi and said "wow, my Dad's car is blinding me!". :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=============

1998 Acura Intergra. Owner bought it as a project car. He warned me over the phone the carpets were pretty rough but he would have the seats pulled out to give me better access. He wasn't kidding about the condition!

[​IMG]

Obviously, the best solution would be new carpets or at least a re-dye but he wanted to see what could be accomplished just via cleaning. I used a full quart of my Biokleen Traffic Lane Cleaner solution at 32:1 dilution. In a few areas, I also poured in some water to help break up the grime, which I then wet-vac'ed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not perfect but a huge improvement. The seats weren't too bad, the headliner took a little time, used my Woolite HE/water solution diluted 20:1 on that and the rest of the vinyl. Forgot to take headliner shots. :(

=====================

I hadn't washed my own car (2002 Maxima) since before Christmas. We had a blizzard Christmas Eve (in Dallas, really!) followed by another wet snow day (minimal accumulation) a week later, then rain, then an arctic front, then more rain. Ugh. I had purchased some smoked tail lights to replace my factory Altezza style lights which have been out of style (although Nissan seems to be forcing the issue with the Altimas!) for a few years now. Plus, with a grey car, the smoked tails look better anyway. Since I got the new tail lights, I figured I should wash my car too. Plus it has to go into the body shop next week because my brother backed into the rear passenger side door-at least he hit the one with all the door dings! The body shop does amazing work but washing cars isn't their specialty-and as you can see, it was pretty bad.

Dirty, dirty dirty! ONR did the trick, even with my car that filthy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original factory tail lights:

[​IMG]

New tail lights on a clean car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

================

The owner of the Integra whose interior I detailed a couple weeks ago called me out to take care of his parent's vehicles, neither of which has received much more than a monthly wash since new. Since both cars sit outside, full on corrections really don't make much sense but keeping the paint protected sure does.

Both cars were washed with ONR and clayed with Optimum Opti-Clay. Tires and fenderwells dressed with Armor All. Both were polished with Optimum Polish using a 5.5" orange Erasure cutting pad. The RAV4 was waxed with Clearkote's Carnauba Moose and the TL was sealed with Opti-Seal.

No, I didn't get a new car, the white G6 is a rental. My brother backed into my passenger side rear door a few weeks ago and my car is in the body shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The TL wasn't available until 3 PM and I was bumping up against sunset by the time I finished, hence dark pictures.

[​IMG]

Something is jacked up with my camera, there isn't a dark spot in the middle of the hood!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThenCosmeSaid

ThenCosmeSaid OT Supporter

Come to the north east fucker.

3. Scottwax

If the fucking rain keeps up here, I might not have a choice. :sad2: Just lost today (reschedule), probably tomorrow because of the rain, definitely Thursday because of forecast rain.

4. Mercedes

Mercedes OT Supporter

If I ever come to texas I'm going to look you up.

5. urbanstereo

urbanstereo New Member

not sure if u've been askd this. how come u don't open up a shop, instead of driving around to each location?

6. nateg

nateg New Member

I think we should all pitch in and pay for scottwax's plane ticket to come to the northeast. :x:

We can all meet in a central location. Scott, you'd make some serious bank in just a couple days.

7. trixareforkids

trixareforkids Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day someti

come to utah fucker

8. JM Popaleetus

JM Popaleetus OT Supporter

If you came to CT, I'd have you do my mom's car. Thing needs some bondo and a full repainting. Doesn't have to be show quality though.

Know anyone around here?

9. nateg

nateg New Member

I think that might be the keypoint of his business. A lot of detailing companies here are just shops. I don't know any around here that come to your home.

10. Scottwax

Shops cost significantly more to operate and you usually have to take on wholesale business to make it work.

11. Scottwax

Check the pro detailer's thread in our detailing forum. If no one is listed, then try this link:

http://www.autopia.org/find-professional-detailer/

12. iPost

iPost OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Omgwhydoyouusewaponiphone?: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

What does the wrx kids dad drive?

13. HighLife

HighLife New Member

Trademarking your threads? Cool bro........

14. BobbyT

BobbyT I love farting. OT Supporter

CLEAN PORSCHE

DRIVE MAXIMA

15. Brunt1823

Brunt1823 OT Supporter

This is true.. People hate having to take their car somewhere, then sit and wait or go find something to do. If they come to you, you have the privacy and convenience of your own home to relax in while they do the work. Not to mention significantly lower operating/fixed costs.

16. Scottwax

Black LS460.

17. Scottwax

:ugh: It's a joke, been doing it for years.

18. Ham Sammich

Ham Sammich New Member

That 944 is beautiful, my favorite older Porsche.

19. Scottwax

Can't fit my stuff into a Porsche...

Besides, I've been taking an ass raping from the weather for 10 months now. We need a mother fucking drought in Texas.

20. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

dunno why but I like those classic 928s :hs:

reminds me I need to order some ONR :uh:

21. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Come to PHX, plz

22. Brunt1823

Brunt1823 OT Supporter

I do details for a guy with a 460L.. I don't even know the differences between the LS460 and the 460L, but they are beautiful..

EDIT: Apparently the 460L has a few extra features

here is his:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  23. Scottwax

Get me enough cars and I will. A place to stay would help too, and be reflected in what I would charge.

24. wait*what

wait*what OT Supporter

:hsugh:
    careful trolling a well liked Otter

25. Tommy

Tommy Long Member Standing

:werd: