Late Model Off Road Bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChatChai, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I'm looking for a late model Off Road Bike. This is my first time riding off road though I do ride a street bike, i'm sure there are different riding techniques. I'm about 6'2" 225lb. I've heard that you don't want to get a bike that is too old (don't remember cut off) because of certain maintenance that is required compared to just buy a slightly newer bike. Can anymone recommends any sites or specs of a bike I should be looking at for a guy my size? Does anyone have any models that they can recommend or a good price range I should be looking at? Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I'm 6', 180 and love my DR650.

2003 DR650SE (se= more street-oriented)

[​IMG]

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

really depends what kind of riding you want to do.
    Do you want a dual-sport or a strict off-road machine?

4. Spanky

Spanky I has a Orb

:werd: trail bikes are nice cuz you can ride down the road and look for a trail but they have there drawbacks on both street and off-road.

5. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

trail bikes? Is this the same as referring to a bike that is simply off road? I would love to have a dual sport but a strictly off road bike would be better for now. We have many trails that I seem riders use quite often. I live around the Riverside County and San Bernadino County area. So there are tons of terrain.

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I'd either second Wolf's suggestion but just equip it with a more knobby tire.
    You could also find a couple year old Honda XR400. Those things run forever and require very little maintenance.

7. motarded

motarded Guest

DRZ-400 is super reliable, available street legal, and pretty cheap. Also, it has twice the offroad performance of the DR650.

8. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

as far as how old a bike is, should I generally stay away from bikes that are too old. Basically how far back should I look? Should I stop at around not looking for a bike under the year 2000? Generally then for a person my size should I stick with something between a 400 and 650? I've ridden the suzuki 250 dual sports in my MSF courses, would that be too small for off road terrain?

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Whatever you go with, I'd try to go with at least a 400cc machine.
    The one I would look at is the old Honda XR400. They are damn near indestructable. They aren't the fastest, but they have plenty of power and are realatively comfy. They also hadn't changed for years, so even an older one would be fine as long as its been maintained.

10. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Clean97 is steering you in the right direction. Buy a 98 or newer XR400 thats in good shape and go have fun.

I would defintely not buy a 650 factory dual sport (zook or honda) to ride in the dirt; they are complete pigs. If you want a dual sport find a kitted XR400, XR650R (not XR650L), or a DRZ400 (needs a couple mods if they havent been done already).