MMA Last night i realized what little strength i have in my legs lol

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Rob H, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Rob H

Rob H New Member

Went to my third BJJ class last night and we worked on escaping the guard into side control. When we got to the part of standing up to break guard then stack your opponent to get into side control I just could not stand myself up. Guy I was with is 250 and has tree trunks for legs wrapped around me. I would get partially up then my leg would just give out and i would fall on my ass. by the time I got home my hip was so sore I could barely walk.

So far I'm loving jiu jitsu and already feeling better and lost 5lbs. Anyone else have this problem when starting or still have it. What exercises if any should I do to work on strengthening my legs or should I just let them strengthen from training?

Thanks!

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

They will get stronger the more you train but if you want to speed up the process then start doing squats.

3. Rob H

Rob H New Member

with weights or just free standing? we do free standing squats as part of our warm up before everyclass, should I do more at home if that's the case?

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

With weight.

If you don't want to go to a gym just to do them then go to walmart and buy a dumbell set.

Hold some weight in each hand(what ever you feel comfortable with) and do squats and lunges with them.

5. Rob H

Rob H New Member

sweet thanks for the advice. i have a membership to 24 hour fitness but i am thinking about cancelling it and just doing JJ to get into shape and save some $$.

6. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

With a barbell. There are some good routines in F&N, look up something similar to Bill Starr's routine. A good strength training routine can compliment any sport really well.

7. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i have never checked that forum out before, but definitely will now. thanks bro.

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

The best I've ever felt in the ring came when i decided to spend some time in the weight room. I never thought lifting weights should be a integral part of a MMA fighter, but after that fight I believe it.

9. Rob H

Rob H New Member

what kind of lifting, more for muscle tone (lots of reps small weight) or to bulk (less reps with more weight)?

10. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I did both, alternating every 2 weeks.

I was trying to gain weight because I was going to be fighting at 170 and I normally fight at 155.

I did 3 days a week in the gym for about an hour and 30 min(plus all my other training).

I seperated it into 3 days, each day working a like group of muscles. I pulled some work outs from the F&N forums.

If you are going to be doing lots of take downs I recommend you really concentrate on dead lifts and other lower back work outs(do them on mon and fri. So you have some time to rest in between but still get twice the work out of them that week).

11. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i've noticed the same thing.....i'm with a guy who is close to my weight...but when i try to do the standup guard escape i just feel my legs shake and i go back to the ground.....gotta start leg lifts soon it seems...

12. Rob H

Rob H New Member

good to know i'm not the only one :big grin:

13. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

don't worry dude...i think there a plenty of people out there who have had this problem before...:bigthumb:

14. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

i didnt like the starr routine for jits. reps were too low (3-5 for main lifts & 10-15 for accessory lifts) and weight was too high (3 & 5 RMs). yes, its only a 3-day split but its a full body workout.

look for something with higher reps (8-20) / low-med weight (only occasionally to failure).
    i just figure that i would like to lift the weight of my opponent over and over.

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

oh yeah, and i really like adding box jumps and body weight squats to my routine. hill climbers, bear crawls, are all nice as well.

16. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I understand your desire to get stronger, but you will come to realize that jiu-jitsu is not about dominating your opponent through attributes (strength, speed, size). While in competition it can come to that, you want to learn the technique that uses your body and its components properly. I can almost guarantee that you are not using proper form when standing to open your opponents guard. It should not be a matter of how strong or how big you opponent is (although at extremes it can be eg: 120lbs vs 300lbs) if you are executing your technique correctly.

Ill attempt to explain this the best I can. While you are in your opponents guard and on your knees you need to get to your feet while maintaining a proper and balanced base. Rock your body to the left over your left knee, not backwards or fowards, and step your right leg out placing the bottom of your foot on the mat. Now rock your body to the right over your newly placed right base (again not back or over your opponent). As you shift to the right, step your left foot out and up towards your opponents shoulder (you must have sleeve control on this side so your opponent cannot scoop your leg). You should now have a solid base to stand upon and begin your guard opening.

Im sure this makes little sense without pictures, but I only know from experience as I was having trouble standing against a heavier opponent and falling on my ass. When I learned proper technique I was able to stand without having to strain myself heavily.

You also have the option of gripping your opponents lapel with both hands in a baseball bat grip right around his sternum area and using your arms with locked elbows as a frame to stand up with both legs at the same time.

17. Rob H

Rob H New Member

sounds a lot like how we were working it last night except opposite on the feet. they were working with me on my base and i got where i needed to be, I just didn't have the strength to lift myself up still.

I have never done any MA before and haven't been physically active in about 3 years, so my strength is almost nothing. I will remember your advice next time we work on it. Thanks for the help!