A&P last minute shoot c&c v.first time shooting a person

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pawis, May 7, 2009.

1. pawis

pawis werd em up

so yea, i mean, ive took pics of people in a snapshot sense, but this morning i wake up to my bro calling me that his gf needs pics for their gym for her upcoming amateur title fight(i guess she didnt have any good pics of her). shes over about 10 minutes later, and we have 15 minutes or so to shoot, and then a bit of time to upload em and do a tad bit of pp and burn em to disc so she can have them to the gym before she has to make it to work.

i dont have a good backdrop, so i have 2 different look generic walls to work with, so meh on background.

so, ive never done portraiture before and im not even sure how to pose her, we take a bunch of pics and i have her try different stuff, and then we go to my comp and she pics out the ones she wants, wants em in b&w and she has me go to town on vignettes.

lighting was basically the reflection of the sun off the concrete(she was in the shade) and an sb600 for fill(im gonna back and try some stuff as i had some inconsistencies with it firing off camera right in cls) and first two sb600 was on camera.

cliffs: last minute shoot for bros gf, never done a person shoot, no good backgrounds, lighting issues, and she wants tons of vignettes, lol...

but yea, gimme your thoughts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I like 4 & 6

3. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i only like 6. the rest seemed forced. For some reason i want really hard light for fighter portraits.

call me next time i have some stuff, and we could have experimented. :)

4. pawis

pawis werd em up

will do, hopefully i have more heads up next time, basically woke up to the phone call that i needed to do this and then 10 min later was taking pics. would probably help if i had more equip, sb600 on a tripod and a nifty fifty was it.

5. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

next time try a cross light with the sun. Use the sun as your kicker or rim. Then get the Sb600 off to the side along the axis, and then adjust to taste. but yeah that wall is cumbersome.

6. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

They lack "depth" to me.

Here is what I'd do PP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't just turn to black and white in PS - you need to do curves and level adjustments before. :hs:

7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i agree with fusion, they need a bit more "pop" - but its hard to do that in black and white. try sharpening a bit and some curves adjustments.

9. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

4 & 6 are the best of the set, 4 is the best for it's purpose, 6 is the best shot in general. now cnc of them all:

1 overall seems flat. some additional pp could fix this. Don't just click "grayscale" to make a photo black and white. either use a gradient, or your saturation sliders. Personally, i prefer using a b/w gradient, as you can make adjustments to really make a converted photo pop.

2 Once again it's flat. The pose is dull, and virtually useless for a fight promotion. There's no intensity, and the clothing is all about fail with the pose in a general perspective.

3 Not bad for the lighting, but you cut off her arms, and doesn't suit it's purpose.

4 By far, the best pose/shot for the purpose. overall it's not as flat as the others, but it could use a little different pp. go w/ a shallower dof (or move her away from the wall more) to make the busy background disappear.

5 the attempt at intensity failed. she looks bored, not focused. there's no definition to her hair in all but the first shot.

6 There's emotion and feeling in this one. It's not flat like the rest are. The light seems to highlight her face, and pull you in to that focal point. her hair (what little there is in this shot) has definition.