Laser Printer Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, Jun 3, 2003.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I have an hp 5l. I bought it used/as-is from a computer store with no warranty or anything. It prints well most of the time, but when it starts to print on a page, for the first half or so, the text comes out "fuzzy-ish" (looks like those stupid "focus" shirts which hurt your eyes when you look too closely). The toner is a remanufactured one and it makes a loud squealing noise while printing. I talked to the store I bought it from and they sent me another one. I sorta want to "finish" this one off before I put the "replacement" in.

I have only noticed this problem while printing from m$ word. I also print a lot from powerpoint, but I haven't noticed this as of yet when printing from ppt. When I had the originial toner (oem hp, but mostly empty) it only did the fuzzy printing for a page or two after installing it, then printed well, but it was mostly empty so that's why I had to replace it.

So far I'm running an amd machine with windows xp pro. The 5l is connected via an old school (JetDirect EX Plus 3 - has only 3 parallel ports on it) hp print server which is connected to my router (netgear rt314).

2. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Mybad, I'm starting to see this happen when printing from any program. It only happens if the printer hasn't been warmed up. Any laser Guru's out there?