GUN Laser dry firing aide, anyone used this?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, May 20, 2009.

1. http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Training_System/LT-1/LT-1.html

I saw this referenced in a M4C thread, but nobody gave a review of it. It looks like it could be a neat way to help with dryfire practice. Has anyone ever used one or heard anything positive or negative about them?

EDIT: Before anyone points it out, an "aide" is a person. The correct word would have been "aid."

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Year I've seen them at trade shows. I believe it was at shot. Would be a better training aid on a double action gun. With a glock or a single action gun you would need to rack the slide each time. I'm kind of on the fence about stuff like this. If it motivates you to practice then go for it, also works decent as a laser bore sighter. Really for dry fire practice you should be looking at the sights and movement in the sights. I think looking for the dot would teach you bad habits about shiftiing your focal point. Instead of seeing the sights lift in recoil (calling the shot). Your teaching yourself to look for the holes (which is slow)

3. That is a good point, and something I didn't think of. I was considering this for my AR. In light of your point, I will probably just stick with the dryfire practice I've been doing. :)

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

It would be cool if there was some kind of reactive target that would leave a mark when the laser light hit it. That way you could watch the sights as normal and have a record of where your shots hit that you could see without having to watch for it.

5. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

6. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

7. P-chan

P-chan New Member

You just need to have a buddy watching the dot. One of the most useful training things a military buddy of mine was talking about was a combo of a laser sight and snap caps. He mixes in a couple snap caps into a mag and he's watching my dot as I'm firing. The dot should remain stationary when my hammer falls on a snap cap instead of a real round. Then we trade off and I mix up some snap caps into a mag for him.

8. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

all that aside, in the end, knowing that the gun isn't going to go 'bang' is what makes tons of dryfire practice for someone with a flinch non-productive at best, and counter productive at worst.

The sights are your indicator of where your bullets are going, your trigger press is best developed with ball and dummy drills.

9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

10. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I disagree with dry fire drills being non-productive. The repetitive behavior creates muscle memory and reinforces good habits if the form is good to begin with.

Penny drills for example reinforce keeping the gun on POA all the way through the trigger pull.

11. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

...Crucial to your argument. But telling a flincher that they need dry fire is counterproductive.

12. BLH

BLH Member

So... Your saying that dry firing does nothing for your trigger control? So then why do the Olympic guys spend time doing it to work on their trigger?

13. Dry fire practice is universally recommended to help people improve their shooting. It goes without saying that for it to be beneficial one must use good form.

14. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Isn't that Rob Pincus?

EDIT: Yep that's him.

15. Who?

16. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

The guy on the page demonstrating the product. It's Rob Pincus. He's a trainer who's always on the Outdoor Channel.

17. I did not know that. :hs:

18. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

no it doesn't go without saying. Plenty of 'trainers' advocate people with flinches to go home and practice dry firing to get used to a smooth trigger press. Well after they check to be sure their gun is unloaded 12 times and they're aiming at a safe wall with no ammo in the room they go to press the trigger. Surprise, they press it perfectly. But when they go to the range, and they realize there's real noise makers in there, the instantly redevelop their flinch. Thats what I'm saying. You KNOW that you have an unloaded gun so you don't anticipate the shot and jerk the trigger.

THATS why it's bad for someone with a flinch.

19. How do you recommend that someone with a flinch gets rid of it then? Dry firing isn't just to get rid of flinches anyways.

20. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

When you're loading the gun, randomly mix snap caps with live ammo? :dunno:

21. That just tells you if you're doing it. You need to consciously focus on all the parts of shooting; grip, sight picture, trigger control, etc... that's how you get rid of the flinch. You can do that at a range with real ammo, or you can do it at home dry firing. Dry firing gives you a chance to work on everything you need to do. Of course, real shooting is better, but dry firing is a tool to help you. That's why it's universally recognized as an important part of building shooting skill.

I guess if you really don't know what you're doing, and your instructor is so clueless he doesn't tell you what you should be doing, but he tells you to go and practice the wrong technique, then you could have trouble. The fact is, good instructors don't do that, and none of us here should have that problem.

22. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

ball and dummy drill, per HisXLNC. Then if the shooter sees his sights bob down, he'll feel like an idiot, if he doesn't remember what his sights did, then he has two problems to overcome, sight picture AND trigger control.

the shooter must get over the fact that the loud bang is coming to overcome a flinch. No amount of practice with a silent pistol is going to cure that.

Dry fire DOES have uses, IMO, but just not as an aide to get rid of flinches.

23. Hang on a minute, nobody mentioned flinches until you brought it up. The fact is that dry fire practice has many benefits, and the overwhelming majority of top level shooters and trainers recommend it strongly. Obviously if your form sucks you're not going to learn. Again though, nobody other than you brought up flinches, and that has nothing to do with this thread.

24. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

disregard my posts, I suck cock.

You're right.

25. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Dunno if this has been posted yet but Cabela's sells that same laser boresighter for like $35 or $40.