LGBT Laramie Project Protests at my school

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Insey, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Insey

Insey I can feel my cunt contracting

As I briefly mentioned earlier, my school put on a play about the brutal death of Matthew Shepard entitled The Laramie Project. It came as a shock to all of us when the infamous Fred Phelps clan notified us of their intentions to protest at our small, suburban high school. It attracted media attention from all over the area including affiliate stations of CBS, ABC, and NBC. I was going to come out on television with my boyfriend by kissing him as we crossed the street but I knew my family would be watching at home so it was a bad idea. The following are pictures I took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd share :bigthumb: Please no gay bashing :wtc:

2. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

note how all the signs for tolerance are positive and use no derogatory terms. Then look at the opposing side. Dyke, hate, foreshadowing of damnation... not really convincing religious overtones.

Can you tell me who fred phelps is. Is clan referring to a KKK type thing or was that just sarcasm hehe :big grin:

One more question, is Philly particularly a rather liberal or conservative area in total? How about PA?

Sorry for all the questions. In reality, with all thats been goin on and as i'm getting older, I find myself being more aware of all these gay politics so to speak.

Thanks for sharing the picture. Nice to see there are a lot of supportive people, straight or gay. All these hateful bashers will hopefully be reincarnated into gay people and learn what its like. j/k

3. Insey

Fred Phelps is the leader of the Westborough Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas. His website is www.godhatesfags.com

Pennsylvania is a swing-state but Philly is usually liberal. My school tends to be liberal but they do some shit that is pretty conservative sometimes.

4. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

What a sick website! The most disturbing part was the Matthew Shepard memorial. It's like he's congratulating the two sickos who killed him.

I've decided to just avoid people like that and stay in areas that are more liberal...

5. Insey

Yeah he was actually at Shepard's funeral protesting saying he deserved to die, etc.

Phelps was also at Mr. Roger's funeral protesting because Mr. Rogers loved everyone equally.

6. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

Wait i heard mr. rogers wasnt for homosexuality himself. I dont know if that means he he was goin for a "love the sinner, hate the sin" type of thing but phelps seems like he cant get his facts together. He is rather guilty of a lot of slippery slope logical fallacies

7. BrownPony

BrownPony Guest

I was in a performance of The Laramie Project here in college. The thing with The Laramie Project is that it does not take sides...and it's all the pure truth of each individual's thoughts on the Matthew Shepard incident. Those supporting Matthew had their voice heard and those against Shepard/gays had their voice heard too. The entire play is generally unbiased...but what it does teach is that hate is wrong.

Arg, Phelps makes me so mad...I hate him. The things he has said are so horrible.

8. whoarnti

whoarnti Guest

that is A LOT of gay people for a school, hell I think we had like 1 gay person at our high school, but then thats mid tx for ya

9. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Mr. Rogers rocked my world when I was 3. :wtc:

10. Insey

They're not all gay. As a matter of fact, I am the only gay person in my school. Those two guys who were crossing the street did so just to piss off Fred Phelps.

11. slow car

slow car OT Supporter

a production of that came to my girl's universtity and we attended. It was pretty good.

Anyways, that man is fucked up. on michal moore's TV show (the awful truth?) he does a segment where he meets him and brings a bunch of gay/lesbian couples in a rainbow bus he calls the "sodomobile" soooooo funny... Phelps ran away for once.

12. Insey

lol the sodomobile... :rofl:

btw, 11 of phelp's children are lawyers. yes, fucking 11 of them.

13. Insey

They say that because homosexuals died in the 9/11 attacks.

14. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

I think that sign has the potential to make anyone who might agree with them in terms of homosexuality be totally against their radical beliefs. Homosexuals died, so did a crapload more of heterosexuals if you follow the one in 10 is gay rule. That means 9x as many straight people died. That sign is just plain offensive. That bitch wouldnt be holding that sign if she had someone die in it and if i was there and had someone close to me die in 9/11 i woulda went for her throat. :rant2:

15. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I'm an Executive Member of St. Mary's Honors College of Maryland's local GSA STARS, and last year, we produced The Laramie Project one month before UMCP did. Fred Phelps wasn't gonna protest both of us, so he sent us a letter attacking us, then went ahead and protested at the University. I decided to respond.

I organized a united counter protest/fundraiser between my college and the university. Together, we raised $10,000+ just from his ignorance. Blurbs from the discussion that Phelps and I had even made the news. All together, it truly is a remarkably painful experience hearing what he feels to be truth and reading those disgusting signs...

Also, my pics look just like yours, which is interesting!

16. Insey

where are your pics at coco?

17. CoCo

...at home...(hehe). I didn't realize that Phelps used the same signs over and over again, you know. (and we had a sign that said 'Hate is not the UMCP Way' and such...) But it's all cool. I think that we are gonna but some on the STARS website...

18. Insey

oh lol. well show me them when you get em uploaded somewhere.

19. CoCo

...will do! (We had buttones too, so that makes us better! :rofl: )

20. Insey

we had one guy get arrested at ours. he jumped the barricade and attacked phelps.

21. CoCo

...ok, you win. I only debated him on tv... I would have much preferred to drop kick him (and for that occasion, I would break my rule and dress in drag for the first time).

22. Insey

I actually respect Phelps a lot. People don't understand me when I say that. Because I'm gay people think I should naturally hate Phelps. But he's a very, very educated guy who's on a mission. 11 of his fucking children are lawyers.

23. CoCo

...yes, but so much of what he says is based on miseducation.

24. Taylor

Taylor Guest

The professions of his children does not reflect on him as a person. He is a sick, disgusting person, and as CoCo said, he is not educated, he is grossly miseducated.

25. Insey

At least he knows how to make a good living at lying.