Laptops Vs. Desktops?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, Nov 13, 2007.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

alright, I know it may just end up turning into a fight between which is better; but I am just honestly curious on something. Is there anything a laptop can't do that a desktop can? I know gaming would be near "impossible" or atleast enjoyable without having a high-end laptop; but I am thinking of selling my desktop and getting just a laptop, but want to make sure that I can still do everything I want/need to on it.

any advice?

btw. I don't do a whole lot of gaming anymore on the computer.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can upgrade a desktop. You can carry a laptop in one hand. Desktops are faster and laptops are slower.

That's about it.

3. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

you can upgrade laptops too :)

only thing i would say thats bad about laptops is not as good for gaming unless you get high end one. i prefer laptop tho cause while i'm at home i have it hooked up with my old desktop monitor so i have the dual screen setup and if i ever need to go somewhere i can just pack my laptop in my backpack

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Replacing the hard drive and adding RAM isn't my idea of an upgrade. You're stuck with the CPU, the motherboard, the video card, the screen, the keyboard and "pointing device", etc...

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I think the line between desktop and laptop is becoming obscured...not so much in the physical aspect, but more along the lines of the upgrading/pricing/features aspects. You have to remember that replacing these items in a desktop does cost money, and it may be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new system as parts are constantly becoming cheaper.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Laptops are convenient if you must go between locations and take your work with you, or for a machine to use while on-the-go. An EVDO aircard makes them super-convenient.

However, they're not well-suited for continuous use, when compared to a desktop. If a notebook will be your primary PC, I recommend some docking arrangement with stand-alone LCD, keyboard, and mouse.

7. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Get a cheaper laptop with lower specs to tote around with you, and then get a nice main computer for all your heavy processing things and gaming. This is how I made that decision easy.