Laptops running Aperture and Resource heavy programs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by anthem404, Dec 1, 2007.

1. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

I own a iMac 24" (Just before the new generation came out), so It's got 2gb of ram, 500gb HD, 7800 with 256mb memory, etc, etc.

I'm a serious amateur photographer who is looking for the luxury of portability, not only for shooting, but for school and such. Before I spend cash on something overkill, I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know how well Aperture (my editing program of choice) runs on a standard MacBook?
    2) If I do choose a standard Macbook (not a pro model), how well would things like Photoshop run on it?
    3) Is it truly worth the money for the pro model, as compared to the standard?
    4) And is there any performance difference between a white macbook and a black macbook? Or is it all aesthetics?

My choices are as follows:

Standard White MacBook with:
    2.2 GHz processor
    2gb of ram
    and Aperture preinstalled

Costing around 1,750.

Standard Black MacBook with:
    2.2 GHz processor
    2gb of ram
    Aperture preinstalled

For 1,950

Macbook Pro with:
    2.2 Ghz processor
    2gb of ram
    120 GB HD
    128 video memory

for 2,300

or a Macbook pro with:
    2.4 ghz processor
    2gb of ram
    160 HD
    256 vid. memory

for 2,800.

I would love to save money if at all possible. I'm not asking Aperture and Photoshop to be perfect, just quick enough to take some punishment.

Thanks. :wiggle:

also, I've seen the ADC discount, not eligible yet.

Is it possible for me to get one of my buddies in college to sign up and let me pay? Or would they catch that shit?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  2. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

You'll have no problems whatsoever with any of the above listed models.

I firmly believe the MBP are well worth it, but I use my machines extensively, so iono. :o

3. anthem404

Ahh, good.

The guy at the local mac store said that if you are going to run Aperture, you want 256mb of video memory, so that's why I was worried.

But shit, I'm thinking about taking up a class (I'm taking a year before going into college to travel around and have some fun) to get a student ID so I can get the ADC, because I honestly don't feel like blowing 3 grand on the listed MBP.

And apple should give me a discount on the second version of Aperture I'm going to have to buy. <_<

Or can I use my currently registered version on two separate machines so long as the owner is myself?

4. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

i have a 2.16 MBP with 2g's or ram. It runs photoshop like a champ. In fact, i usually have photoshop, bridge, lightroom, itunes (playing), mail, transmit (usually uploading)... all running at the same time. It handles that load very well. If I was buying a new MBP, I would go for 4g of ram instead of the faster processor.

ps: i would pay more for the MPB for the screen size over the macbook alone.

5. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Can someone answer this?

In most cases, Apple software does not check to see if you have installed it on another machine. So, legal issues aside, I doubt there is a technical reason why you wouldn't be able to use the install disc from your old mac to put Aperture on your new laptop.

I managed to install iPhoto 6 on my G5 iMac using the disc that came with my MBP (intel), I had to do some digging around to get to the actual pkg but it was a universal binary. I think it was quasi-legit because iPhoto came with both computers (although I think the iMac came with iPhoto 4 or something :o )

6. anthem404

Main problem I'm worried about is the fact that Aperture uses a specific user serial, or it does to my knowledge at least. Not sure if iPhoto requires such, but I might call up Apple support to figure out, unless someone can confirm using the same serial for aperture on two separate machines...

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

You haven't moved to LR yet? I used to love aperture, but moved to LR a couple of versions ago because it overtook aperture in features. It took me a while to get used to LR but it was worth it, I still miss some of apertures shortcuts/menus.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

its also much faster... but then again I've never tried aperture on an intel.. my 1.64 g4 was pretty painful.

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

and I agree that the bump in screen resolution with the mbp would be very helpful.

10. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

macbook pro.

it may run fine on a macbook now, but a year or two down the road your macbook will shit out on you

11. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

CS3 is slooooow on my friend's macbook compared to my MBP. I wouldnt be able to deal with it, but I'm pretty sure I use my CS3 more than 99.9% of people, and speed is critical for my job, so that may be why.

12. anthem404

I actually went from LR to Aperture :mamoru:

I don't heavily edit my photographs, so the simple tools in Aperture is all I need, and I like the library and just how overly simple the program is for what I want to do.

And thanks for all of the comments, I think sometime in December I'll take up a class to get a student ID card and get the ADC Pro model (which happens to be the exact model I want, minus Aperture :p).

Oh, and one more thing:

How hot do the things run? Like if I set it on my lap, will I never be able to have children after a single session of use?

13. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

it gets very hot in my lap. i have stand for my lap that keeps the mac and my legs cooler.

i order things from apple all the time with the student discount. i havent taken a class in over 4 years. they dont check that shit.