Laptops now and then....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Miller2000, May 25, 2005.

1. Miller2000

Miller2000 New Member

When I bought the computer I have now, all 466 M Hz of it, 5+ years ago I didnt even consider looking at laptops. They were twice the amount I was willing to spend, prone to having multiple problems, hard and expensive to fix, and screen resolutions didnt even compare to the .27 pitch I could get on a cheaper flatscreen monitor. However, now more than ever I see more and more people with them and the screen quality seems ok to me from first glance. My question is for someone who is completely clueless on shopping for them and what to look for what are some things to look for and know concerning power, reliablilty, and screen resolution. Has it gotten any better and are they worth the purchase/time of building one from the ground up? (Another option Im considering)

2. MrMan

MrMan New Member

They are not that much, depending on your need. I prefer a light, portable laptop, where others may want a desktop replacement. Again, it all depends on what you're looking for. High powered laptops usually have shorter battery life (1-3 hrs). And by high powered, I use that term loosely, as most new laptops now are powerful.

Most will say the most reliable laptops are IBM. Although they just sold their PC business to Lenovo, I don't think it has an effect on their reliability as of yet. However, if you're Jollyogre, you'd say IBMs sucks and Asus is the way to go. Just do some research.

Check out CNET's site. Note on the left menu, "Notebook buying guide"... that may be what you're looking for.:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Notebooks/2001-3121_7-0.html

Check out this site for notebook reviews:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/

3. POONTANG

POONTANG skeet skeet

i used to flip laptops for money. when i bought them, i would be looking through any known problems associated with that model, as well as the way the power supply plug in is mounted as some tend to snap off due to accidents, thus fucking your mobo and leaving you with a brick unless you can solder/have time.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

If you look hard, you can find laptops with really high resolution now. I have a 17" Widescreen that runs at 1920x1200.

5. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

IBM THink Pad. Best.Laptop.Evar

6. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

despite the tendyness of them, powerbooks are really nice. great battery life, lightweight, thin, nice screen. if you can get past the nuainces of a mac and the cost they are a good product