Laptops in planes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kuyajay, Apr 6, 2004.

1. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

Gonna be going on a flight in a couple of days and I'm gonna bring my laptop. Do I need to buy a new plug so I can use it on the plane? I'm gonna be on the plane for 20+hrs so I need to know. And if I do, what kind of plug?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You'll probably have to rely on battery power, I can't recall any plane I've ever been on having a power outlet :dunno:

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You need to contact your airline for more information on whether or not your seat will have access to power. If it does, ask them what kind of plug is required. Depending on the size of the plane, seat and the airline, you may just be in luck. More and more airlines are providing 120v outlets which is a godsend. Executive class is obviously more likely to have it though.

My bet is that you're gonna be screwed though :rofl:

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've been on a couple of 757's (coach class) with what look like 12v outlets between the seats.

5. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

What are you flying? My dad said that on some of his business trips they had power ports in business class

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You've never flown in 1st/Business class. :o

7. Penguin Man

I have but not since back in the day when it was super-classy (wine list and menu and everything). Also, I haven't flown on anything but WestJet in a few years, and WestJet doesn't even have meals :o

Yeah, I'd forgotten that there are nice airlines. I suppose if you're on a 20h (presumably overseas) flight, then you'd be more likely to have all the amenities.

8. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

overseas flights have free liquor and power outlets usually. Soon some of the overseas carriers will be sporting Connexion by Boeing, which is pretty sweet. I have been on the experimental prototype and there is a 60" plasma screen up front and 3 wireless access points, plus DirecTv streaming over the network to your laptop, oh and cell phones can be used on board also... not to mention the wired ethernet ports at every seat, which are all first class seats... latency is kinda blah though.
    So the answer is, call tha airline, some airlines have the power adapter for sale at the gate, but don't risk it. Last time I had to fly for over 20 hours, I just drank heavily...

9. Penguin Man

:cool: I'm probably going to Europe this summer, maybe I'll be lucky enough to be on one of these fancy planes.

10. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

gonna be flying economy class so i'm guessing im fucked. But I'll call the airlines anyways since I don't know what I'll be doing for 20+hrs. thanks

11. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

I have never seen any power outlets save the bathroom for a shaver in a plane. I have also never flown above coach.