laptop wont turn on :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scream_Phoenix, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

ok so kind of a long story but i want to include al the details of this just in case.

a few months ago my laptop(thinkpad t23) battery started to go, i could only get about 20 minutes before it shut down. it was fine because i didnt move around with it much anyway.

i went traveling in europe and took my laptop, and used it with an adapter to fit the euro sockets. it was not a voltage converter but as i understand it, it doesnt need one because the thinkpad power pack uses a range between 100-240. (im hoping i wasnt wrong and i didnt fuck something this way)

that was fine all the way up until i got back home. i was in no rush to use the laptop so it sat on my desk for about 3 weeks before i tried to turn it on. when i finally did try, when i plugged it in it didnt do anything. there shouldve been a light to show that it was plugged in, or that it was charging the battery. i tried unplugging the cord and then unplugged the battery, then replugged the cord and the battery. this time the light that shows the battery is being used came on, but it didnt flash which would indicate that its charging. i thought it would be fine, and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened except that the light went out when i pressed the power button.

the only way to get the light back was to unplug the battery and cord, and then replug them both back in. i got the light back and left it to charge for ~8 hours, but when i tried to power it back on it did the same thing. the light just went out.

i thought that it might be that the battery drained and could not be charged after being left for so long, so i ordered a replacement, but it still does the same thing.

thanks for reading, any ideas? :sad2:

2. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Replace the AC adapter.

FYI my Thinkpad 600E was made in 1998 and it's AC adapter works like a charm.

Sounds like you blew some shit.

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

You could test out the charger to make sure it didn't fry out, before getting worried. Check it with a multimeter.

4. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

you think its def the ac? i was wondering but i thought because it was showing activity (green light) it might not be it. however its not the light that its suposed to be, so maybe its getting some power but not enough to actually turn on. if i track down a multimeter, what sort of readings would i be looking for?

thanks for the input guys :)

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

It might be the power supply, it's atleast the first thing that I would check.

On the underside of the charger main box it should tell you how to connect the multimeter to it. It will also tell you how many volts you should expect to get out of it. Usually if it's outputting within .3 variance then it's working ok.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

AC adapters go bad all the time, especially the ones that auto-adjust for different voltages. You might think they use two different transformers for 110 or 220 volts, but they don't; the same 110 volt transformer gets used for American AND European electricity. Then they use resistors to block the extra current once it's been converted to DC for your device to use. Those resistors weigh a LOT less and don't last very long. Keeps you coming back to them for replacement parts -- after all, you must have been using it wrong if it broke, corporations ALWAYS make the highest-quality products. (rolls eyes)