laptop vs desktop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CiD, Jan 26, 2003.

1. CiD

CiD New Member

i'm looking to buy a new computer, but i cant decide between a lappy or a desktop.

i probably wont use the laptop much outside of my room, but i really like how compact they are. i realize they arent as powerfull as desktops, and are more expensive, but the size and less amount of wires is very appealing.

anybody here use their laptop as a desktop replacement? or should i stick to desktops?

2. cdoyle

cdoyle I finally changed this!

I have both, and I just like using a desktop more.

You really can't upgrade a laptop much, besides the memory and some accessories.

A good desktop you can upgrade almost everything, and be able to use it longer
    My laptop pretty much became a boat anchor after a couple years.

Plus, the batteries on the laptop go bad pretty quick. I had 4 batteries all go bad with a couple years.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

another downfall about a lappy is once it breaks after warranty. i know the lcd's for some models are over 1000$ cnd!! and for my buddy's dell, her motherboard (umm 233 i think) is over 600$!!! :eek: thats more then the lappy itself by time warranty is out.

just some food for thought.

4. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

If you need a new computer and don't think you'll use it much outside your room, I would go with a desktop. I have both and hardly ever use my laptop except for tuning my car and sometimes at work.
    Just think about what you really need it for. As posted before, you can't upgrade a laptop as easily and for the extra money get a smaller desktop footprint and get an LCD for a monitor and you'll be set.
    Hope that helps.

5. shadi

shadi New Member

unless u really need the mobility, go with a desktop, you wont regret it

6. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Yup. I bought my laptop just so I could have it for school. I take it to work to watch DVDs, but that's about it.

7. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

for the money of a laptop, you could get a more powerful desktop and have enough change left to get a decent lcd screen(to save desktop space) if you wanted. if its staying in your room most of the time, get a desktop, you may regret spending so much more on something that does the same thing not as well.

8. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

One thing worth noting is if you live in a small cramp space, almost claustrophobic-like, then a laptop may even be good. Desktop will always be cheaper and more powerful, dollar for dollar.

I have a P3 900mhz laptop I don't even use anymore cuz it's too slow.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I would stick to a desktop unless I needed to use the laptop in a variety of places. Reason being that a desktop is more upgradable and cheaper, and if one part breaks, it's much easier and cheaper to replace that one part (especially if it's the monitor).

Send it to me :big grin: