Laptop to TV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homer Simpson, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson New Member

I want to watch tv shows from abc.com and other websites on my LCD TV. Can I just connect my laptop to my tv using an S-Video cable? If so, will it play in HD or will it look like garbage when it plays on my tv?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

yes, and yes it will look like garbage.

Get a DVI to HDMI cable instead, and don't pay more than $15 for it or you're a retard (there are $100+ HDMI cables, they are NO better than the cheap ones online)

3. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson New Member

My laptop doesn't have DVI, only VGA and S-Video. Is there anything I can do that would still be worth it and have good quality?

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

can you go from vga on the laptop to a vga port on the LCD? If so, that's going to give you the best quality for your setup

5. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson New Member

I think I can do that. I'm going to need an audio hook up as well right?

6. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

headphone male to headphone male cable should work for the audio if you use the VGA to VGA hookup and you can probably get it for a couple bucks. I have a 25 footer I got off monoprice for like 5 bucks.

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

i must be confused. how will a headphone male to headphone male connect from the computer to a TV for audio?

I figure you would need at least a 'Y' cable which has a headphone male at one end (computer end) and two RCA ouputs at the other (red and white. tv or home audio receiver end).

i might have missed something.

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

If you have a good receiver you should attach an external sound card to the laptop and use digital optical, thats exactly what I do with a DVI-HDMI cable for video and it's gorgeous.

9. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

Because a lot of tv's that have a vga in also have an audio-in in the form of a 1/8inch jack.

10. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

On the back of my plasma it has a PC Sound In which is a headphone jack. So I assumed this was common but perhaps it isn't. In which case the Y adapter which goes from headphone to RCA would be needed as you said.

11. glamdering

glamdering New Member

If you know what you doing you can always put a HD s-video card in your laptop. In less you have one of those ones that don't let you change cards. :(