Laptop suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, Jan 10, 2006.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Looking for something thin and light. I dont care about gaming, but I like some power since I like to open a bazillion programs at once.

I purchased the display model at my local store for $1300:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...34808/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    I also get the $150 mail in rebate on top of that.

I was originally looking towards an HP DV1420US, but this sony appealed to me because it had a better processor and slightly higher resolution display.

A few things I discovered later after buying it:
    :) SATA, 5400 rpm hd
    :) DDR2 Ram
    :) Ram is a single 512mb chip, not 2 256 modules

This should come out to $1250 w/tax and after MIR. Just wondering if I could have done better. This is an open box model, so I can return it within 14 days and not be charged restocking.

2. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

bring that back... you could buy a dell for cheaper... if weight isnt really that much of an issue for that price you couldve got one with a 17" screen 4hr battery and more ram from dell

3. unrealii

Weight is an issue. I pretty much settled on the 5.3lb/14" catagory because those were the lightest while offering the features I need that I could afford.

4. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

5. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

just remember that some stuff is easy to upgrade and cheaper elsewhere like the ram and maybe even the hard drive...

6. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

[​IMG] Inspiron 700m Date & Time: January 10,2006 10:04 AM CST [​IMG] SYSTEM COMPONENTS [​IMG] Inspiron 700m Qty 1

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 755(2 GHz/400MHz FSB) 12.1-in WXGA, Genuine Windows® XP Home Unit Price $1,768.00 [​IMG] Select Inspiron affiliate offer save $500 off $1599+ (Affiliate only)
    LIMITED TIME OFFER!
    Remove Coupon - $500.00 [​IMG] Catalog Number: 29 Module Description [FONT=arial,helvetica]Show Details[/FONT] Inspiron 700m Intel® Pentium® M Processor 755(2 GHz/400MHz FSB) 12.1-in WXGA Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Home Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpm Hard Drive Network Adapters Integrated Network Card Modem Internal 56K Modem Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 CD ROM/DVD ROM 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription Primary Battery 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (32WHr) Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included Additional Batteries 8-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery (65 WHr) Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected - includes limited use trial Dell Media Experience Dell™ Media Experience Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience TOTAL:$1,268.00

7. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

extra battery and all i think i might actually buy one of these too lol... QZKLVJV?HMCS1F is the coupon code

8. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

yeah, dont take back the sony for the dell, unless that is you want a computer full of problems... sony makes higher end laptops, dell makes shit for laptops...

9. 01000101

01000101 New Member

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

x2 on the 700M. We have a couple here at work and they are great. Might take a little getting used to with the smaller keyboard.

11. unrealii

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to build that dell tonight and see what I can do. I also get 12% off through my company if I purchase a dell warranty on the laptop. I tried to configure one, but it still came out to too much. Will try again later.

I'm still leaning towards keeping the sony. We'll see.

12. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

seriously dells have a 24% failure rate on their laptops, thats 1 out of 4 will have a problem. not really worth it to save a few bucks imo...

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Has ayone looked at one of the Asus barebones systems? You install CPU, RAM and HDD, and possibly optical drive, but it sounds like you could get a helluva system without spending a small fortune.

14. unrealii

I think I'll stick with the sony and see how it goes. I just realized that the dell 700m has a 90% keyboard. I used to use the x300 at work and that would sometimes be a problem for me.

15. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I know a couple guys with Asus laptops (not barebones ones though). They seem very high quality, nice fit and finish. Pretty thin and sleek.

16. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i love my asus notebook, its the first company i recommend to people

17. unrealii

I am considering the asus z63a. Just wondering how you would consider the build quality on it? It would cost me about $1400ish + tax for the following config:
    -Pent M 2.0ghz 760
    -1gb ddr2 memory
    -dvdrw drive
    -60-80gb

18. 01000101

01000101 New Member

thats the laptop i have. the build quality is fucking awesome. it feels solid, it doesnt bend or flex. it looks good, it doesnt scratch or get damaged easily. it doesnt rattle, it doesnt feel flimsy. i got my from www.proportable.com and theyre probably the best company ive ever dealt with