laptop suggestions (requirements inside)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Jun 25, 2004.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I need a super small and light laptop. The Sony TR fits the bill, but its $3k with the DVD burner. Dell's 300m would also work, but it doesn't have a VGA output. I've seen several superlight machines, but they don't have the required ports or drives unless you connect them to a dock that doubles the weight and thickness. :nono:

My requirements:

1) As small and light as possible, about 3 lbs
    2) Realistic battery life of 3+ hours at that weight
    3) VGA output
    4)Touchpad (no eraserheads please)
    5)DVD+/-RW drive. Ideally, it would be built in. Or I could get an aftermarket USB (bus powered) unit as long as the laptop can boot off of it.
    6)PCMCIA slot
    7) Firewire
    8) AC adapter that doesn't weigh as much as the computer

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Well it does have to run Windows. A 12" Powerbook probably work well except that I need to be able to read and write to firewire disks from Windows machines. I do on-site PC repair and use the laptop in that business. I have a big Dell Inspiron right now but I'm looking to replace it with something that's small and light enough to carry in my bag. (Right now, the laptop stays in the trunk unless I need it.) Ideally, I'll have a cellular PC card to access the net so if I need to google something or download something, I'd just whip out the laptop and not have to bother with finding a phone line or configuring it for the wifi that may not even be available. The 12" PB's don't have a PC card slot. Also, I frequently pull a customer's hard drive out of their machine and connect it to an empty firewire box I carry with me. I use this to backup files on a dead Windows in advance of a reformat/reinstall or to run a virus scan. I know OS10.3 can read, but not write NTFS partitions. Also, Apple only has -R/RW burners and not the +/- ones. I'd rather not get locked into one format and wind up burning DVD's that the customer can't read. Dell has a lightweight machine but they only support +R/RW burning and it doesn't have a VGA output. I looked at Fujitsu's web site but they don't have a DVD buner.