Laptop stopped working

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TysonLee, Sep 13, 2006.

1. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

So last night my Dell was working fine. ill tell a little story of the computer because i dont know if it contributes to the demise of my laptop. anyways last night i was using the laptop in the garage. i get a low battery warning from my widget. so i close the lid which puts my laptop in standby mode. well i guess during the night the laptop went dead. so i get to work this morning and i go to plug in my laptop to the ac adapter. i hit the power button and i get nothing. usually when plugged in i get a charging light on the laptop itself. that light is not on. i pull the battery and just try to run it off the ac adapter. still nothing. i tried a different ac adapter thinking thats the problem and i still get nothing. has anyone experienced this kind of problem before? please help. i want my laptop back :(

2. AllSeeingPie

AllSeeingPie New Member

Make sure the socket where the electricty comes in is clean and the AC adapter is plugged in all the way. If not, then it's probably something connecting that socket to the circuitry inside that has broken (can't remember if Dells have fuses inside, but a surge might have knocked something out).

It's terrible bad luck, my symptahies. Same thing happened to a friend of mine, he also had a Dell. In the end he just had to get it serviced - he was lucky to have it in warranty.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Try wiggling the plug and see if it turns the battery light on at all. If so the ac/dc connector may be loose. If that's it it can be soldered back

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've had similar problems with getting a machine to come back on after standby, but it was nothing pulling the battery couldn't fix.

I never use standby anymore.

Do you have a warranty on the machine?

5. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Agreed, remove the battery, and hold the power button. I've seen tons of people take a quick jab at the power button with no result, but when you press and hold the power button it comes alive.

6. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

i have tried all things suggested. i do not have a warranty on the notebook anymore. could this be a motherboard issue? if so are motherboards for notebooks expensive? i custom built my PC so i know how things go together but a laptop is a whole nother beast for me

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You can try Ebay for a motherboard.

8. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

Same thing happened to a toshiba I had, and it was the motherboard.

9. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

well i did some searching on the internet. apparently this is a common problem with the 5160s and dell wont take responsiblity for it. alot of people have reported the same problem i am having. and they all say it happens JUST when the warranty is expired which is what happened to mine. so i said fuck it and bought my boss's inspiron 9300 :o . he gave me a killer deal i just couldnt pass up. he saw i was pissed off that my laptop took a shit on me so he told me he would sell me his laptop (that he got a couple months ago). he wants a smaller laptop cause the 9300 is huge. widescreen and all but im not complaining :)

10. optendo

optendo The next generation of console gaming!

good for you..you might beable to ebay the ram and LCD for some extra cash.

11. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I've seen system boards for $300 to $600 new. Have you pulled the battery out and let it set a while before trying to power it back on?