Laptop sound card replacement

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kev-89t, Mar 31, 2005.

1. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

Well I did it, I had speakers pluged into my laptop and a book fell off the shelf and landed on the plug in and broke the inside connection. If i plug in the speakers they work, like you have to hold the plug there with tape or it moves around, but they still work. That really isn't a big deal, but it also made it so the laptops speakers won't work when the external ones are not plugged in. And weirdest of all, it will play music fine but put in a DVD all you can hear is the music the voices are so quiet that you can't make out anything they say.

So now here is my question, does anyone know how to go about replacing a laptops sound card. How much will it cost to get a new sound card and have someone change it. And a good place to get this done. It's a toshiba satellite A10

any help would be nice, thanks guys.

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

It's not so much the sound card you need to worry about, but the connector itself. Most computer repair shops can fix this for you on the cheep. I would take that path if you're not comfortable taking a soldering iron to your mother board.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm not fammiliar with that laptop, but on most of the ones I have seen, the sound is integrated into the motherboard and usually cannot just be replaced. Go with the above on trying to get the connector fixed.

4. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

Thanks guys I'll try that when I get the chance

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.