Laptop Secondary HDD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, May 7, 2008.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I have a Lenovo T61p, currently with a 100GB HDD. I tend to be a packrat, but for some reason only got a 100GB HDD when i got this computer. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 160GB or higher drive, but i want to attempt/experment with dualbooting into XP (i currently have Vista).

If i were to get something like this...
    ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter
    Would i be able to install XP onto the secondary HDD, and dualboot Vista (from the primary HDD) and XP (from the secondary HDD)?

Just to get it out of the way... I do not know much about dual booting, but its something i'm curious to learn... So i apologize in advance if i'm already asking noob questions.

2. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

If you set your partitions up correctly you can dual boot without using too much space. All you really need are the boot files on separate partitions. Your data and installation locations can be on a separate partition.

I use my laptop almost exclusively these days, and though I'm not currently dual booting I could easily. I bought a 250GB USB drive to hold all my data and stuff that doesn't require any kind of high I/O, it works well for me.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

should be no problem.
    just google and follow the steps on how to dual boot with Vista installed first.

i would also suggest that you just partition the primary drive and install both OS there so you can still use the ultrabay for something else.

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I think i just arrived at my own answer... I didn't really think it thru very well. If i use the HDD adapter i lsted above to install a second OS, i wouldn't be able to use the CD/DVD drive, since the adapter is in the Ultrabay. That... would suck, and be pretty useless.

So i think now i am thinking buy big drive, partition accordingly, dual boot Vista and XP (mainly just cuz if XP is significantly faster). I've read enough about it, but i want to see for myself. Plus it gives me an excuse to mess with dual booting a bit.

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Werd, you posted this before i could get up my realization of the same thing, lolz.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i would also suggest to use nlite and vlite to slim both down if space became an issue

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Hadn't heard of vlite... i'll have to look that one up if/when i make the move.