laptop screen

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fade, Jul 22, 2003.

1. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

my mom's laptop screen was broken during a baggage transfer at an airport. its a compaq 1800, and compaq wants to charge around 750 dollars to replace it.

is there any way i could possibly do it for a cheaper price?

and, is it worth to fix the screen, or use that 750 towards a newer laptop?

2. dexedrine

dexedrine Guest

try looking on eBay, i got a 14.1" lcd for my ibm laptop a few months ago, for a lot less than ibm wanted. you're talking about 150-250 on eBay i think... i got mine for like 250

3. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

how difficult is it to replace them?

and a link to the auction?

4. dexedrine

dexedrine Guest

well mine was easy. honestly, if your laptop is shot, crack it open and look at the lcd. you might wanna take a look at their website or the maintence manual pdf, it should tell you how to rip it apart.

as for the eBay auction, it's already gone. sorry, although i'm not sure how that would even help.

5. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

i was just gonna check out if it was a parts seller, incase the dude had a screen that fit the laptop.

ive found some on ebay, did you just replace the LCD itself? I'm seeing whole screens, and I'm not sure if the backlight is broken on my screen.

Anyway, thanks!

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I got lucky... this same thing happened to me twice and I have the dell completecare so they replaced it free onsite... I got to watch the tech do it so now if it happens again once I'm out of warranty, I can do it myself.

Usually all you gotta do is pop a few bezels, about 4-5 screws and an ide-like connector.