Laptop screen as a monitor for my desktop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sansb, Oct 21, 2005.

1. sansb

sansb New Member

When I moved away to college I brought with me my laptop and desktop, deciding at last minute to leave behind my monitor to save valuable space. Now I'm wishing I could access my desktop for the sweet sweet gigabytes of movies and music I could store, but I have no monitor.
    So is it possible at all to use a laptop as a monitor for a desktop system?

2. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

No laptop that I know of allows that. Sorry.

3. GoChris

GoChris 11 seconds

if you have windows XP on the desktop, you can connect to it using Remote Desktop.

but you will have to enable it on the desktop first, ie, right click my comptuer, remote tab, then enable.

so maybe borrow a monitor to enable it then just turn the pc on without a monitor or anything and you can remote to it, and setup shares to get shit via the lan

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

Or, if all you want from it is the data, just access the files remotely (although I suppose this would be difficult to setup on Windows without a monitor - I always forget that Windows is useless headless).

5. sansb

sansb New Member

Alright that's sort of what I figured, thanks for the helps guys. I'll just see what kind of useful goods I can borrow from the computer lab.

6. tony

tony Guest

If all you're after is the storage, buy a couple external USB/Firewire enclosures.

7. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I don't think it's the storage he's looking for, but what he already has saved on the desktop. Best thing would be like what others have said, borrow a monitor, just set up file sharing and share everything you want to see, and just access those things from the laptop via your network places.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Well if he bought an extrnal enclosure for the HDD he could take the HD with all his stuff from the desktop put it in the enclosure and then access it on his laptop. Go to walmart, you can get them for like 20-40 bucks. I used to have one when I first went to college as well:bigthumb:

9. Subie Driver

Ah, yes, I see what you are saying. Might be a problem if he pulls the hd out of his desktop, though, if it has the OS installed on it. I pulled the hd out of my old laptop when the case broke, and the only way I was able to acces the info was with a data recovery program. Otherwise, it wanted me to format the drive.

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:wtf: The FS on the drive must have been borked. It shouldn't be any problem at all to just plug in a drive with an OS on it and access the data.

11. Subie Driver

I know, I'm not sure what the problem was, just that it wouldn't read the data. The hd had ME on it, and the comp I was hooking it to had XP, so maybe that was part of the problem, but that shouldn't have happened. But with the data recov program, I was able to get everything off of it fine. Not sure what happened, but it happened to me, it could happen to him, so I mentioned it. The drive still works perfectly, by the way.