Laptop recomendations v.videocards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pr0Xima, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

I am in the market for a notebook/laptop. Not looking to spend more then say 1200 bucks. Ive been looking at alot of ACERs due to a ton of friends that love theirs. My question deals with the mobile graphics cards. I dont know crap about them. 2 laptops I am looking at have these 2 chipsets

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 Link
    ATI Mobility Radeon X700 link
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP link

None of these apear to use shared video memory(like i said i dont know shit about laptops when it comes to graphics), I am not worrying about straight battery life bc it will mostly stay at home. I just want something that has half decient graphics to lug around on trips. Would I be safe to assume these are good enough to run say half life 2 cleanly? My only problem is I am not sure of any ACER dealers in my area(going to look that up on the site), but buying from most retailers ends up being a fucking hassle with retard sales people.

I am moving in with the female and she is taking my desktop and I want a laptop for work/couch usage due to not enough space for more desks. I can get a decient deal on the lower end one from a friend thats a ASP for Acer. I want to stray away from macs right now... I have reasons, but I wont post thing, has nothing to do with being any sort of M$ fan boy either.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Friend of mine has a Dell Inspirion 1505 with the x1600...I think...he's very happy with it and plays WOW and BF2 fully maxed with zero lag. In fact, it's now his primary gaming computer.

3. Pr0Xima

nice, i figured the 1600 would be bad, my buddy thats the ASP for Acer let me play with the one with the 1100 in it, he says he plays PREY on it. i didnt get much of a chance to tinker bc we cant have them at work.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Actually, I just checked and it's the X1400 with 256MB. Doesn't look like the 1600 card is available for this model of dell.

5. Pr0Xima

reguardless, usualy ATI steps it UP in numbers, higher means better. I think I am going to aim for the 1600.. I wasnt even sure there was one in the ACER line that was as cheap as the one I posted. Usualy the Ferari line gets them

6. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

Im rocking a Nvidia GeForce go 7900 GTX in the core 2 duo HP notebook, and its just amazing to say the least. Ive played all the games without issue. Picking one out of thoes three i would go with the x1600 tho.

7. Pr0Xima

I figured, i guess this one ive been looking at has been getting really good reviews on new egg. Time to ask my buddy what kind of deal he can get me if any.