laptop questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itfelloff_ouch, Jul 16, 2004.

1. hi. i'm planning to buy a new laptop. i've been looking into Dell Inspiron 600m and Latitude D505 or D600.

anyone have recommendations on those?

and I was also wondering if it's possible for me to format and reinstall softwares that i want freely. those come with Windows XP Home edition and a bunch of crap softwares that I doubt i'm ever going to use. so I might just format the HD and reinstall Windows XP Pro and stuff that I want.

but I know some companies only allow their bundle O.S. CD to be installed, and nothing else. like e-machines.

If i were to choose one among these: Inspiron 8600, 600m, Latitude D505, D600, which one should i go for?

thanks in advance.

2. bl33k

bl33k Less QQ, More pewpew OT Supporter

I just got a 600m about 3 weeks ago, and i'm loving it thus far. What are you going to use the laptop for? I bought the 600m because i liked how it was only 5lbs. My friend has a 8600, it's similar to the 600m, weighs quite a bit more, but has wide screen and a better video card. I'd say the 600m is better for mobile "business" type uses, school etc, and the 8600 is better for multimedia purposes: dvd watching, a few games etc.

And yes, you can easily format the hd and put winxp pro in.

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

You should be able to put whatever os you want on it. My eMachine had home on it and I swapped it out for pro. The even gave me restore cd's with all the drivers I would need for everything on there. You might have to get drivers for things but dell is pretty good about having drivers on their website.