Laptop question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hairy Gorilla, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

I am buying a laptop pretty soon for just random use around the house. I've already got a pretty loaded desktop computer and I want something to bring to school and travel with, etc. I'm not planning on doing any gaming on it, but probably a lot of websurfing/im'ing/movies/etc. I'm trying to keep it cheap so I want to know which route I should go. Please help me out.

I am trying to decide if I should even pay the 25 more for option B:

A. Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2050 (1.60 GHz) Included in price
    or
    B. Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2250 (1.73 GHz) +$25.00

or, upgrade my graphics card with the $25 I saved with option A:

from this, Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Included in price
    or
    this, 128MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7200 +$25.00

My last option is just save the $25 and get the T2050 processor and keep the free graphics media card. Again, i'm really never going to do gaming on this. Probably internet browsings, internet videos, word processing.

Finally, is it a waste to buy the $10 recovery CD? I'm sure it is. I just wondering if it is easy to burn my own recovery cd since they already partition 10gb towards a recovery drive?

Thanks

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if you're limited to one choice, go with the real video card over the slightly faster cpu.
    And yes, it is worth the 10 bucks for the cd. If the hdd dies, ghost isn't any good.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

video card.

4. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Yeah I mean I could afford both I'd just rather not keep spending $25 here and $25 there. I'd rather spend the money on booze and or at a strip club personally. lol. I'm trying to keep this affordable for a college student who really doesnt even need one.

5. optendo

optendo The next generation of console gaming!

I would NOT get the 7200 video card for one reason...Battery Life. The 7200 may not be the newest card around but it will drain your battery quicker. Also again unless your doing something very cpu intensive, as it seems your not, I would NOT upgrade the CPU either. I just don't think you are going to notice a different between a 1.6 and a 1.73. It is a very small step up.

Now if you are asking the better bang for the buck...the 7200 upgrade is a better bang for the buck out of the 2 choices. Again remember that you will notice a difference in battery life between the 2 video cards.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is no descernable difference in battery life between the two video cards.

7. optendo

Do you have a link or something that shows a test or battery consumption conparison?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have personal and professional experience to back this up.

YOU are the one making crazy claims. YOU should provide evidence to support your claims.

9. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Thanks for the comments people. It seems like i'll def stick with the 1.6 gig processor and consider the graphics card. The battery was the other issue. So if this upgraded video card will drain the battery faster i'll prob stick with the "media accelerator 950". Feel free to continue commenting. BTW, I think i'm getting a new HP dv2000T. I think they look great and i've heard pretty good reviews on them.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh, such a shitty notebook.

asus/ibm/apple.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

Buy the $10 recovery CD. I didn't get it and had a bitch of a time getting the manufacturer to "understand" that they needed to send me one for free. Eventually they did but I was without a pc for a few days while we talked about how I wasn't going to pay for a pc they basically fucked up.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

ibm, vaio......I'd have to be getting an awesome deal to consider anything but those

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i would not even consider the vaio.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

of course you wouldn't :rolleyes:

15. xinster

xinster New Member

my laptop is a piece of garbage toshiba. This is because it overheats like crazy and has garbage battery life. I would put those 2 at the top of the prioprity list for my new laptop.

16. optendo

Ok well here is my defense.

GMA 950:
    There are 2 version of this video chip. One which runs at 400Mhz and one that runs 250Mhz. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_950 ) It all depends on the chipset in the laptop as you can read from the link provided.

7200 go:
    I could only find a clock speed for the 7300 go which is around [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]350MHz. ( http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=541 ) So the 7200 go is probably close to that.

Now with my crazy claim:

If you got the Intel GMA 950 you could possible get the 250Mhz version (depends on the chipset as said before) and would obviously take less power to run than the 7200 assuming its clock speed is around 350Mhz. Now for the ram speed I only know what the 7300 speed is, 400Mhz. I am not sure what the Intel GMA 950 ram speeds are but I assume they are pretty slow. There is my wild crazy claim.
    [/FONT]

17. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

since the gma 950 uses the system ram, wouldn't it be either 533 or 667mhz (depending on which speed ram he has in there)?

18. optendo

if the Intel GMA 950 has NO dedicated ram then there is no extra power needed for the video ram as there is none and it just uses the system ram. The link I gave didn't say any about the Intel GMA 950 ram, whether it was dedicated or not.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Your crazy claim is unfounded and ignorant! The notion that MHz will show power consumption is STUPID. The 7200Go is a MOBILE chipset and is DESIGNED for a notebook. It does not use full power when it doesn't have to. When doing standard 2D work (which is all Windows is, until you get into gaming or hardware acceleration) then the Go will be running in standard 2D mode.

Yes it has dedicated memory and the GMA850 doesn't. But I've never heard anyone stupid enough to argue "no, don't go to 2x512MB because it will hurt your battery life over 1x512MB". *bullshit*. There is not discernable difference!

To say that a 400MHz chip would draw more power than a 350MHz chip is lame, as well. The power draw difference between 50MHz on a similar design is essentially nothing. And the 7200Go and GMA950 are VERY VERY DIFFERENT designs, which makes power draw comparisions IMPOSSIBLE! And lets not forget that the 7200Go will throttle!

Oh, and the GMA950 uses system memory. This means calls over the PCI-E bus and through the southbridge, using precious CPU cycles and taking power from many high-draw components.

What do you think draws more heat? An entry-level notebook graphics chipset? Or the combination southbridge and CPU of a high-performance latest/greatest notebook?

And all of this means nothing because there battery life will not vary beyond margin of error!

20. optendo

Someone is taking it personal...:greddy:
    I merely showed the difference between the cards and I gearing this more if the 950 was 250Mhz gpu if you read what I said.

Also about the ram I was talking about the speed of the ram not the size again if you read what I said.

edit: Just to add I have a sony VGN-SZ220 which has 2 video cards 7400 go and a Intel GMA 950 built into it. There is a hard switch near the top of the keyboard to switch between the 2 of them. I notice a 2 hour battery life difference between the 2 video cards.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

2 hours? You're full of shit. /thread.

22. optendo

I can get CLOSE to 4 hours with the 7400go, and just over 5.5 hours with the GMA 950. It is not full of shit I tested it when I first got the machine.

23. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Absolutely. Intel graphics suck in comparison to anything the video card makers put out. All Intel has to do is provide the ability to run complicated graphics, so that new laptops will be able to run Windows Vista -- only the dedicated graphics chips will run fast, though.

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Do you have the GPU set to underclock itself when it's not being used? If you aren't, you're wasting power.

25. optendo

I have set to down clock when not needed.