Laptop processors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Raggity Man, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Raggity Man

Raggity Man Lets share the milk of human kindness

intel or AMD? i know its pretty much intels game if you want battery life and such, but what does everyone think about AMD or should i even bother with AMD if i wanted to get a laptop.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I would generally suggest Intel. AMD clocks higher than Intel and often come "pre-overclocked", so they generate much more heat. Because Laptops are so small, and very tight inside, an Intel chip would suffice.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

My tip is that you don't know shit about computers, just like you don't know shit about Photography.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:bowdown: :rofl:

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'll let the bandwagon do it for me.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:bowdown:

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

No wonder you think jolly is smart.

8. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Right now you really can't beat a pentium. Even though AMD's turion comes close it still doesn't run as fast as a similar pentium m and still uses more battery. Really they only thing that it has is being AMD and then 64bit. The turion is gotten extremely close to being on par with a pentium m but it still falls a little short.

And this is all coming from someone who swears by AMD, so take that into account.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Are you saying I am incorrect that AMD chips heat up much more than Intel chips? Are you saying that I am incorrect that AMD chips do not are not defaultly clocked higher?

Don't turn this into a Jolly thread. This has nothing to do with him. Post your relvant argument on AMD chips.

To all the AMD sack-riders: I am pro-AMD, and I use AMD for all my desktop solutions, so don't assume I have hate towards AMD. I prefer Intel in Laptops because of AMD's heating issues. When you are capable of comprehending what is being discussed, then you can contribute on why I am incorrect on my subjet matter.

Discuss.

10. JaJae

JaJae New Member

No I'm saying you're an ass.

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'm usually not. I'm particuarly moody this weekend because I'm stuck with 80 hours of coding in which I cannot complete (weekend = 48 hours) in time. So, I procrastinate and browse OT. :sad2:

Anyway, I apologize if I offended you. :wavey:

And, I only replied to HIM like that because he's one of the biggest trolls I've met on OT. He degrades peoples photography work, as well as Photoshop work, then starts babbling about something he has no idea what he's talking about. I felt it was necessary, his lack of knowledge and stupidity, however... is not.

12. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

The Pentium M is an absolutely wonderful mobile processor. AMD is cheaper, but IMHO for a notebook stability is more important than speed, and it's been my experience that Intel makes more stable chips while AMD makes chips for speed. My X31 runs relatively cool & gets me 4-5 hours battery life when doing office work or net browsing. Very quiet too - fan only comes on when you're doing something processor intensive.

I love my Thinkpad X31, but you can pry my Athlon 64 out of my cold, dead hands (so don't think I'm a rabid fanboy).

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The Pentium M is the best mobile processor out, bar none. Especially the newer Dothan-core part. Its balance of power usage and performance simply cannot be beat.

Anandtech has done a couple of very good writeups on it, recommended reading... it's really a quite ingenious processor design.