Laptop problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hbp0819, Dec 23, 2007.

1. hbp0819

hbp0819 New Member

I bought a Compaq Presario about 4 years ago. Within the first 6 months of having it, my foot got tangled in the cords and I accidentally pulled it off the desk and it hit the floor. Since then it has had the same problem, and although I've sent it to Compaq a few times (during the first year manufacturer warranty) and sent it to Circuit City (with the warranty I purchased with the computer), nobody has ever fixed it. It's been in my closet for a couple of years, and when I was packing up my stuff to move out, I came accross it again and I really want to figure this out. So here is the problem:

IF it successfully boots up, things will work fine for a while, but the computer will eventually just turn off by itself.

Most of the time it won't boot up at all. Sometimes, nothing will even show on the monitor. Sometimes, the compaq logo will come up, but it never goes past that. And when the compaq logo comes up, there is a bunch of matrix-looking shit scrolling behind it... ?

Since it starts up sometimes and works perfectly for a few hours (normally), I assume that its not THAT messed up...maybe there is only one or two things that I'd need to replace.

Any ideas, OT? :x:

2. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

could be a damaged hard drive

3. hbp0819

hbp0819 New Member

Could that possibly be the only problem? If I just had to buy a new HD and put it in, that would be awesome. This old ass thing is only 40GB anyways

4. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

it could be several things but i would defiantly start with a hard drive. It could also be as simple as mis-seated ram. So i guess check the seating of the ram moduals and then if you want to put money into it try out a new hard drive. But personally working a 4 year old laptop be worth the time or effort.

5. hbp0819

hbp0819 New Member

Thanks for your help. I know it might not be totally worth it, but I certainly don't have the money to invest in a new computer...

6. airbatt

airbatt New Member

I agree with lights. Best place to start looking would be the ram and the HD. As for being worth fixing, if it were me I'd want to know what caused me the grief for the last four years, even if I never used the thing again.

7. hbp0819

hbp0819 New Member

Thanks.

and I completely agree haha. this thing has caused me so many problems over the years, i HAVE to find out what the problem is

8. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I'd start with the heatsink and CPU. Make sure the CPU is fully inserted, and that the heatsink is properly seated. You say shutting down (possibly overheating) and matrix like scrolling (could also be a result of overheating). I work exclusively on laptops for my day job, and Presarios of that era are pretty famous for motherboard issues as well, I've seen many with popped capacitors, but you say this happened after a drop so I'd start looking at connections between all hardware, making sure nothing is loose.